DjangoBooks.com

My experiments with Impulse Response (IR) processing - with sound samples!

12346»

Comments

I played with it a little bit today. I captured a few IRs. My main question is how do I make it sound more open and airy? There's a guy who did a shootout with every other similar pedal and NUX sounds the best to me here. His flattop sounds incredibly close to the mic.

I'll see what I can do to make it work better. I have a sound port on the guitar and just closing the sound port with my hand or leaving it open resulted in a different sounding IR.

To capture the IR I simply played open strings one by one. I don't think it needs anything else. I even think this might even be better way to feed it, it's like a baseline. But these two scenarios have a different sounding IR. And mic position makes a difference. Supposedly you want to err on a weaker side of input level.

More to come...

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

Getting back to first principles, can this device capture the sound of your guitar in an IR, and then can you use that IR through sound amplification and hear the guitar as if it is being miked? The video of the shoot out didn’t quite seem to answer that question directly.

I suppose that if the company who makes this device had also expanded their downloadable IR catalog to include a couple of Selmer/Maccaferri style guitars, we could use it in a pinch. Otherwise, we are stuck with the same problem: trying to capture the sound of these particular guitars and amplify them.

That's what he's doing. He's using Neumann KLM184 to capture it. The sound he's demoing is from his DAW, should be the same sound he can send to the amp and play live.

Hearing what he captured gives me hope. That was only drawback from the samples Vic posted, and that seems to be what I'm getting; I wish it had some airiness to the sound.

I found a few interesting things today. I'll start a new thread since this one is already very long.