DjangoBooks.com

My experiments with Impulse Response (IR) processing - with sound samples!

Comments

A day before this thread came up, I talked to a player who sold the LR Baggs version because it was too fussy to dial in and use.

Reading about your experiences and even Joscho's, it really isn't something you can do like a snap of the finger and you're done. Still it's worth it if you gig a lot in a variety of spaces. My curiosity has been sparked again especially with the LR Baggs since even though it's not technically a preamp, it has a functionality of one.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Another Ischell user here who is intrigued by this technology.

Pardon if I’m asking a really stupid question but…

… why does this gadget only work with piezzo pickups?

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • flacoflaco Shelley Park #151, AJL Quiet and Portable

To me, the device doesn't know whether it's working with piezo, mic, or a potato. :) It's taking an input sound and applying processing to achieve an output sound. The further away the input and output are, the more extreme the processing would be and therefore more artificial sounding. The closer the input and output are, the less extreme the processing and more natural sounding. That's my hypothesis, but at this point I'm not gigging so I don't have a reason to spend the money to try it out.

• V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭

It works with magnetic pickups, in fact, the Nux are some pre-programmed IRs that are meant for magnetic pickups. But the results are not great in my experience... then again I tried it with a telecaster. Maybe programming a new IR with a magnetic pickup on an acoustic guitar + condenser mic would be interesting, I'll have to look into that.

• edited June 2022 Posts: 279

I didn't have great results with magnetic pickups and the tone Dexter. It either really well with the big tone pickup.

• maxmax SwedenNew

Fwiw - My band have used the nux optima for a year now in some live situations, work great! Unit is sturdy and well built, but a bit tricky inteface for presethandling.

as mentioned above, better quality piezos, preamp and mic equals better result..

i’’m totalt happy with it and it serves it purpose well, for absolute best sound nothing beats a condenser or ribbon, but as we all know, sometimes its just not possible in a live situation.

BillDaCostaWilliamsBuco
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022 Posts: 867

So here is a clip with my buddy George (mostly a rhythm guy when playing gypsy Jazz but can get good tone out of a guitar) using his big tone direct into his L1 Bose system, he is the first soloist. I am using a Big Tone into the Tone Dexter and direct out of the box into his Bose system.

I have found using an amp with my Tone Dexter seems to give me a boxy sound, The L1 appears more open but I'll be interested in any feedback.

I have a Bose S1 and I am curious to A/B against the L1 as it certainly is easier to carry.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jw4930o6zklq1j/Pickup%20test.mp4?dl=0

BucoWillieBillDaCostaWilliams
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

Scoredog,

Interesting result and findings that an amp might actually get in the way of the Tonedexter Bigtone combo. It might be that the eq on the Bose is just more in the sweet spot or it's speakers are carrying the frequencies you "want" to hear better.

Scoredog
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

also I think the big tone sounds pretty good into the L1 which I was surprised with, I usually hear the dreaded quackiness.

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

I think the big tone sounds pretty good into the L1 which I was surprised with.

+1

Scoredog