DjangoBooks.com

My experiments with Impulse Response (IR) processing - with sound samples!

Comments

I’d heard of the Baggs Voiceprint and the Tone Dexter, and both looked promising but the price tag has been a bit of an obstacle. Thanks V-dub for demoing a “more affordable” option. The NUX seems like a good choice for players on a budget just starting out with this amplification stuff.

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

More rabbit hole fodder!

Seriously, guess I’ll hold off until the new Tonedexter shows up. Some users suggest that the Tonedexter is more fussy about the mic you use to record sample, as opposed to the LR Baggs approach using the iPhone internal mic. Don’t know if they’re going to address that or not, and I wonder what’s up their sleeve otherwise.

Will NUX work well with a contact mic, specifically Manouche mic? I think the consensus in the past was a yes but I'd like to confirm this before get one.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    edited October 2023 Posts: 341

Does NUX indicate on their website what pickups they like? Tonedexter has a long list of confirmed favorites, some that work with reservations, others they say don’t.

Interestingly, Tonedexter says they don’t like magnetic pickups, but LR Baggs say they do. I would not have thought that the IR technology would be that different between the two units, but who knows.

If I were to hazard a guess, I’d figure that the Manouche mic is a variation on a style of piezo, so if a piezo works with the NUX, so should the Manouche mic.

Of Interest to anyone who owns the Manouche mic: my bandmate owns one and has been having trouble with feedback and fidelity of sound. He discovered that the cord itself is extremely microphonic and highly sensitive. You can check this yourself by flicking the cord itself when you are plugged in. He had been running the cord underneath the tailpiece and off the back of the guitar for aesthetic and practical reasons, but the pinch against the body by tucking it snugly under the tailpiece was introducing unwanted overtones and sound that interfered with his placement of the mic itself. Letting it hang freely improved the sound quite a bit. I suggested using a small amount of putty to secure the line off the soundboard of the guitar, and the putty would also carry some of the weight of the line so as to not affect the mic placement itself.

Don’t know if other similar soundboard mounted amplification tools suffer from the same problem. My sensor mic seems to not have this problem; I do tuck the cord under the tailpiece.

Buco
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023 Posts: 872

Maybe there is a better video for our needs but the "magnetic" pickup in this vid does not leave me hopeful for using one with the Nux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuwbdxX9MZs

Buco

@Chiefbigeasy Judging by the list of preloaded IR presets, it's either piezzo or magnetic pickups. I don't know how these pickups that are marketed as contact mics are made but piezo is a form of contact microphone essentially. Either way I figure Jokko mic would work fine.

I did the internal mount and that pretty much removed any noise that would from accidentally knocking the cable. The surface noise is there but I don't find it a problem.

On its own it sounds like a blend of clean electric and piezo. Once he blended that with some sort of gritty electric sound, it was a usable sound overall nothing acoustic guitar about it.

Of course I could just add a cheapiezo just like Vic did but I don't want yet another bug on the guitar unless I can't help it.

Hey, NUX users! Are you using NUX power supply or something you had around the house already that fits?

I got this thing, plugged it in and all I get is garbled noise. Read some reviews where people described something similar and said using the NUX power supply fixed.

Do you have anything else plugged in to the power supply? Other pedals can cause noise. Especially digital pedals.

• edited October 2023 Posts: 4,742

Just that.

But it occurred to me I think the power adapter I grabbed from the pile might be 9V AC output instead of a DC. It still powers up and even connects to the software so I figured if it turns on it's good. I'll check on this tomorrow.

Edit; it was the wrong power supply indeed. It's working fine now.