DjangoBooks.com

Post your music!

Comments

• Cameron JonesCameron Jones Sydney Australia

Hi All,

If anyone is interested in what's happening in Australia here's an album I made in '18

And an all original band I'm involved with

WillieBillDaCostaWilliamsBonesMichaelHorowitzScoredogwimrudolfochristBucobbwood_98
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

Swinging bands, good music and recording, fine cover art (especially "Voyages"); well balanced between traditional and contemporary approach. Don't overlook "Down under"!

Cameron Jones
    edited July 2022 Posts: 825

Over 30 years ago we I sang with a band project in Munich, "Horaxdax!", with songs in Bavarian dialect. The following version of "Desafinado" is about a young couple, Hans and Lisa, who are spending a summer night at the banks of the Isar. Texted by a friend of mine, I used the old Yamaha DX 7 and Roland D 20 for the arrangement:

Another Bavarian song, recorded several years later, with composer/pianist Elmar Raida's band "Raida". His songs usually were written for four voices, piano and double bass; the following example is one of my a capella contributions. The lyrics are about being on the way, having no rest when arriving, never having enough and such:

ScoredogBonesBuco
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Gemma Zua sounds powerful and not at all dated. Even without understanding a word, I do get a sense of restlessness.

I imagine it would be great to hear live.

Lisafinado is certainly unique although more of its time, I'd say.

Willie
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

If anyone is interested in what's happening in Australia here's an album I made in '18

Cameron, your 2 albums maybe deserve a thread of their own on the forum.

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

Nice stuff here guys, thanks for this thread so we learn a bit more about each other. Voyages btw is a nicely put together tune and the band sounds like a lot of fun.

@Willie seeing as we are delving back to the past, here is a song I wrote and recorded on cassette when I was working in rural Mozambique 34 years ago. This was pre-GJ for me and I was quite influenced by the Mozambican guys I played with at that time.

The recording is a duo version of my song Só teu nome (I just heard your name) recorded with my friend Ray McCardle. When I moved back to Europe, Ray stayed on in Chimoio. When he passed away last year during the pandemic, I digitized it from the old cassette and made the video as a tribute to him.

rudolfochristWilliebillyshakesBonesBucobbwood_98

@Bill Da Costa Williams Some old school Marrabenta flow indeed!

BillDaCostaWilliams
    edited July 2022 Posts: 825

Far back in time again: a tune from the first CD with my Klezmer and Balkan Jazz project back in 1994. The song is written by Mordechaj Gebirtig (1877 - 1942), an outstanding Jewish poet, composer of beautiful tunes. The lyrics are about the master thief Avreml (diminutive of Avram, Abraham), who reflects how his life could have turned out differently. At the end he wishes as an epitaph "Here lies Avreml, the master thief, he might have been a great man, a fine person with heart and feelings, a pure person just as god is willing it, oj oj".

My Jiddish was not on point at that time, so I took a course at the Jewish Community in Munich, where I lived at that time. But as we mostly were playing when the course would take place, the participants and the teacher came to our shows instead of me learning the correct pronunciation.

For those who know better jiddish than I did:

alberto250579BillDaCostaWilliamsBucobbwood_98
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 4,732

Tuesday night premiere. This time it's Ever Lasting Awe-Ela. Started humming the melody in the car as a challenge to myself to see if I can come up with any melody without my guitar. Then finished at home which took a while to present itself. Seaside sounds have been recorded a few weeks ago at the Adriatic coast, Jadransko more.

billyshakesWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsBonesbbwood_98
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel