DjangoBooks.com

Post your music!

Comments

Thanks, Willie. It's loungy, isn't it? The thing really does a convincing job producing a backing track. The bass even closely follows the melody around 1:10. I have no idea how that happened, all I did is enter the progression chords.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

My 1960s Henri Miller sounds better for rhythm than solo work but I've been enjoying playing around with it a lot recently and so recorded a short solo clip.

WillieBucoMichaelHorowitzBonesmac63000Scoredog
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited June 2022 Posts: 825

Beautiful chord colours, and your old piece of wood has that much personality!

BillDaCostaWilliams

Beautiful, Bill.

OK, here is something different...maybe shockingly so...This is the kind of guitar playing I came from, loud and heavy. A year or so ago a friend came up with this modern gusle epic. When I heard it, I thought it screamed for some heavy electric guitar. He gave me a green light and I got to work. I also thought didgeridoo would go nicely with the gusle sound so I added that too (I was interested for a while in learning to play didgeridoo).

BillDaCostaWilliamsWillieBones

Of aman, this would stamp down all the bands at the Wacken Festival ...

Buco
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Different certainly, Buco, but it works well IMO.

Not sure how it would go down in Samois.

I had thought the gusle was just used for Balkan musical folklore.

Buco
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 4,737

Samois is very diverse these days I hear so they might be open. His lyrics are kind of tongue-in-cheek, just to amuse. I'm not sure what came first, the lyrics or the idea to come up with a modern version this kind of music. But yes, I lot of traditional music is being modernized and worked over, often jazzed up or mashed up with other world music etc...not gusle though, that's really an artefact of history. Even though it's probably still being performed.

As far as I know the gusle is still in use, but often misused for nationalist propaganda, because it is closely related to the old heroic songs telling stories of great ancient warriors and such.

Buco
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 4,737

That pretty much nailed it.

Interestingly, I always saw it as this very basic, archaic instrument. You know, one bowed string, no fretboard, no frets, nothing...how hard could it be... but wiki states that it's actually very hard to master.