DjangoBooks.com

Djangobooks Hot Club Colab - J'attendrai

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator

Hey Buco, sorry I'm lagging just super busy right now. Have not even had time to pick up the guitar in weeks. I'll try to finish up some projects and hopefully no new ones pop up.

Buco
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 4,737

Thanks Will. Yes, he would be triple awesome addition to this thing. I don't like putting anyone on the spot though, more likely than not everyone who frequents this forum is aware of this effort.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Buco

Feel free to clip the ending off of my solo, or fade it out a tad early. I feel bad that it ended up stepping on Willie's fine vocal work.

Buco

Yeah, no problem, this is just a very rough putting things together.

MikeK
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

Dino Olivieri 1905 - 1963, composer of "J'attendrai":

MikeKBuco
    edited November 2021 Posts: 825

When recording the vocals for this tune, I was was amazed at the disrepancy between the rather cheerful and lively music and the melancholical, almost sad atmosphere of the french lyrics, especially in the stanzas: C major vs. fading flowers, shadows slipping into the garden, no sound of your steps, nothing more to come, nevertheless I will wait with my heart beating sadly ... But the original title is "Tornerai", which means "You will come back". The original italian lyrics by Nino Rastelli set the focus not on me waiting, but on you returning; there is jealousy in the italian version (not at all in the french one): "where are you, with whom are you, you don't think of us"; but nevertheless, bordering on shere denial of reality, a heart beating with the sure hope that "I know that you will come back".

wimBucobillyshakes

Nino (Guiseppe Gaetano) Rastelli, 1913 - 1962, lyricist of "Tornerai":

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

"Reading a translation is like looking at the reverse side of a tapestry."

- author unknown to me

Bucobillyshakesrudolfochrist
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    edited November 2021 Posts: 825

“Translating from one language to another, unless it is from Greek and Latin, the queens of all languages, is like looking at Flemish tapestries from the wrong side, for although the figures are visible, they are covered by threads that obscure them, and cannot be seen with the smoothness and color of the right side.”

― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quijote

BucobillyshakesLango-Django
  • BonesBones Moderator

Hey Buco, remind me how we get recordings to you? Thanks