DjangoBooks.com

Internal pickup mount and drilling the tailblock

Comments

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    That trap door is slick @Buco ! I bet the volume of the internal mount is crazy. As you know, I mount mine on the top, and the volume is crazy. The only other thing I got for my setup is the Rapco V cable.
    @bopster
    Thank man!
    Volume is totally crazy! See my writeup I just posted, turned up the amp all the way and no feedback, that nuts.
    Yeah those are cool but I never found a need for it, the amp is almost always within an arms reach away.
    Thanks again for that video, without it I'd never decide to go for it.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • DjangoJayDjangoJay New
    @Buco I have mine the treble side of the soundhole. I think the amp you use plays a factor, given that mine just has a tone knob my placement is probably compensating for the lack of eq adjustment. When I was looking for a spot I used a loop pedal to isolate the sound of the mic.

Hope you're happy with it, Inventive thinking on the stealth jack placement btw :)
    Buco
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 4,741
    @DjangoJay
    Thanks man, it sounds good where it's at but I know come next strings change I'm not going to be able to resist to move it and try that spot too.
    I just got back from the gig, where I plugged in and got the thumbs up for the sound only needed to come down a bit in volume.
    Your loop pedal usage isn't clicking for me, can you explain? (PS I got it, it's simply to hear the sound of it independent from strumming a guitar and having it come out of the amp at the same time)

Yeah I got a few laughs just now when I opened the flap and plugged in.
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos

Hey guys I just picked up one of these myself and noticed that the bass response was much less than my K&K definity transducer. Did you attach the manouche microphone just with the supplied putty or did you use something else like double-sided tape or something? Thanks a lot, Dean.

• edited July 2019 Posts: 4,741

I used the putty that came with it. I've had some concerns regarding it holding throughout the summer months, especially when we played an outdoor show but so far it stayed in place. I was going to mess with placement but decided no need to fix what isn't broken.

You mounted it inside or out?

My bass settings are usually way down on both the amp and the preamp.

Outside buco. Jokko told me to put it just behind the treble side of the bridge but it didn't help nor on the bass side. I'm using an AER amp to so there's no issue there

I'd record a sample showing that neither the recommended spot nor moving it around yields much bass and send it to Jokko. He'll come through regarding any issues.

Great advice thank you

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

I had been thinking about the whole drilling the 1/2 inch hole in the tail block for a different pickup: the new Geronimo Mateus LC that Michael now sells. Anybody use it? Will it sound better than a Peche a la Mouche?

My complaint with contact pickups is that they seem to make the whole surface of the guitar too sensitive. They get the sound of the strings, for sure, but they also amplify every click of pick, tap of your knuckles on the soundboard, and scritch of your fretting finger across a string.

I’ve got an Ischell pickup now that I can use if I need to get louder without feedback. But, everything I said above goes on with that pickup too. My current goto setup is a Audio Technica AT831B. I mount it on the lower bout with a gooseneck and get a great acoustic sound through my Schertler with a minimum of feedback

I was looking at the Geronimo Mateus because I wondered if it sounded any different and because the endpin jack seemed convenient. I have the same fears about drilling that others here remarks upon. Don’t want to drill that hole unless it’s worth it.