DjangoBooks.com

Internal pickup mount and drilling the tailblock

Comments

• edited April 2019 Posts: 4,735
    For now I ordered the pickup. We'll see. But I think you convinced me Wim, no need to be reinventing the wheel.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • psychebillypsychebilly Kentucky, USA
    I did the same as Wim...got a drill bit and hogged it out...K&K mini...couldn't be happier with it...easy-peasy and sounds great! Used 'gel' super glue on the contacts so adhesion was better. Located them at each end of the mustache...

Buco
    Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    Awesome thanks Billy!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I'd start with a smallish pilot hole thru the tailpiece and endblock (use the two other tailpiece screws to keep it in place) to make sure that ur holes line up. Maybe take the tailpiece off and drill the pilot hole like half the size of the finished hole then put it back on and drill the pilot hole thru the endblock??? Then take the tailpiece off and drill the final size but make sure the tailpiece is well clamped as Wim shows since the big drill can grab the thin sheet metal if it is not clamped down tight and then it will get all bent up. U can drill the final endblock hole with the tailpiece on again as extra insurance if you want. Lots of on/off stuff but then I'm pretty risk averse. In any event, go slow. If in doubt, just have ur local luthier do it. Good luck.
    Buco
    Yes, thanks Bones, I definitely like to use pilot holes.
  • DjangoJayDjangoJay New
    I've got one of Jokko's pickups installed in my guitar and like it. But as with any contact mic it takes a few attempts to find a sweet spot. For whatever reason it's harder to find inside the guitar.

Around the soundhole (bass or treble side) seems to get the best tone for me. I first tried it behind the brace and it sounded like I was playing a cardboard box through my set up so it's pretty unforgiving.
    Buco
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 4,735
    Ah ok, since I want to do the inside mount I was hoping it would be easy placement. Thanks for heads up. Jokko has a photo of the inside placement on his guitar, it's just behind the soundhole, centered on the bridge, between braces 2 and 3.
    jxv0t8hjz4r4.png
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 4,735
    I took a slightly different approach

Now you see it

x4519vmpfsxw.jpg

Now you don't

a0hjo6nx9mjo.jpg

Mounted just like Jokko suggested
    7rk0zoj0t11z.jpg
    I'll write more about the sound of this pickup separately but in short it's crazy good!
    @DjangoJay do you have have between braces 2&3 like Jokko suggests but off to the side or just to the side of the soundhole?
    First I did it as Jokko says and it was good. Then just for the heck of it I tried it to the side of the center strip towards the bass side, between braces 2&3 and wasn't good at all, pretty awful actually, moved it back to the original spot and it was on the money again. So I stopped messing around. But if something else is working for you I'll try it.