DjangoBooks.com

The smallest gypsy...travel guitars, small scale and other oddities

2»

Comments

• beenawhilebeenawhile ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing that Fischer Mini. Looks to be 510mm or 20" scale length...that is tiny!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited January 2016 Posts: 1,395
    Speaking of which... this is an old one, but just in case you've never heard it...

Q: How many guitars does a guitar player NEED?

A: Just one more!
    Bucot-bird
    I live in a little tourist town called Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario, Canada, which is about twenty miles north of Niagara Falls.

If you are ever planning on visiting the beautiful Niagara area, feel free to PM me and perhaps we can get together and do some jamming.
  • beenawhilebeenawhile ✭✭
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23
    I ended up buying a Cordoba La Playa (just under 24" scale). Strung with gypsy strings and set up the way I like it, its a really nice, affordable travel/small guitar option. The tone is a bit sweeter than a gypsy guitar, but still has bite and character that work well for this style. I doesn't sound much like a standard steel string, a good thing here, and is very nice for playing lead. Of course the volume is less...something that my family appreciates as I am constantly told to turn down the volume on my Cigano!

My only beef is that the fingerboard and frets are or the classical school (flat and tiny). I am hoping that I wear through them quickly so I can consider adding some radius and slightly larger frets.

• AppelAppel ✭✭✭
    That old Decca, and the work being done on it, is just cool as anything.

As for collapsible guitars ... I don't want any compromises - I feel like I don't have time left for any more size- and/or scale-related adjustments - I need something that works, and I need it now - so I recently took one of AJL's travel guitars into the fold. It has absolutely improved the quality of my life. I threw it into the back seat of the truck the other day, got some practicing in while running errands. You know, it is one of the nicest guitars to play I have ever played, travel guitar or not. Plays like a dream. Harmonics just explode off the strings, and the thing sustains better than any Les Paul - it's absolutely wild. If electric guitars have been a part of your playing life, to any degree, you would really appreciate this guitar. Collapses in seconds down into a case about the size of a viola.
    Buco
    Hey Appel, did you try it with a magnetic pickup?
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ShmockiebabyShmockiebaby Elkton, MDNew
    I use a Yamaha silent steel, with GJ strings. Packs down smaller (still full length), and I've never had trouble getting it onto a plane.
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Hodson 503
    Ive always used parlor guitars with Argentines.