DjangoBooks.com

The smallest gypsy...travel guitars, small scale and other oddities

2»

Comments

• beenawhilebeenawhile ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing that Fischer Mini. Looks to be 510mm or 20" scale length...that is tiny!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited January 2016 Posts: 1,855
    Speaking of which... this is an old one, but just in case you've never heard it...

Q: How many guitars does a guitar player NEED?

A: Just one more!
    Bucot-bird
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • beenawhilebeenawhile ✭✭
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23
    I ended up buying a Cordoba La Playa (just under 24" scale). Strung with gypsy strings and set up the way I like it, its a really nice, affordable travel/small guitar option. The tone is a bit sweeter than a gypsy guitar, but still has bite and character that work well for this style. I doesn't sound much like a standard steel string, a good thing here, and is very nice for playing lead. Of course the volume is less...something that my family appreciates as I am constantly told to turn down the volume on my Cigano!

My only beef is that the fingerboard and frets are or the classical school (flat and tiny). I am hoping that I wear through them quickly so I can consider adding some radius and slightly larger frets.

• AppelAppel ✭✭✭
    That old Decca, and the work being done on it, is just cool as anything.

As for collapsible guitars ... I don't want any compromises - I feel like I don't have time left for any more size- and/or scale-related adjustments - I need something that works, and I need it now - so I recently took one of AJL's travel guitars into the fold. It has absolutely improved the quality of my life. I threw it into the back seat of the truck the other day, got some practicing in while running errands. You know, it is one of the nicest guitars to play I have ever played, travel guitar or not. Plays like a dream. Harmonics just explode off the strings, and the thing sustains better than any Les Paul - it's absolutely wild. If electric guitars have been a part of your playing life, to any degree, you would really appreciate this guitar. Collapses in seconds down into a case about the size of a viola.
    Buco
    Hey Appel, did you try it with a magnetic pickup?
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ShmockiebabyShmockiebaby Elkton, MDNew
    I use a Yamaha silent steel, with GJ strings. Packs down smaller (still full length), and I've never had trouble getting it onto a plane.
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    Ive always used parlor guitars with Argentines.