DjangoBooks.com

Cordoba Gitano D-5 Guitar, is it worth it?

2»

Comments

• PierrotPierrot New
    I've seen loads of pros using Gitanes in the UK. Gitane+AER seems to be standard.

BTW, for my money, it's the strings that really count. GJ boxes don;t feel or sound like GJ boxes
    with standard strings. When you have light, wiggly strings under your fingers, the GJ groove happens naturally. Bireli played great GJ on a lightly strung Ovation in the 80s.
    Il n'y a pas d'amour heureux
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    I was there, he played amazingly, but I have heard rumours of the Gitane story..TELL ME!!!! (A p.m would do) 8)
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
    And by the way-from my expereince a Cigano is the only option if you are on a really tight budget-I love 'em, so does Robin Nolan :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebWqfbHhE_w
    nice new vid of the man himself-deffo NOT playing a Gitane. He's a great player, it can't be denied a torch carrier when gypsy jazz was not known that well by us Gadjos
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Robin played at The Midwest Gypsy Jazz Festival this past September on a borrowed Gitane 250M. He sounded pretty good on it, which only reinforces that the player is more important than the guitar when it comes to sound. When I played it, it just sounded like...well...a Gitane. When Robin played it, it sounded like Robin Nolan, if you know what I mean.

I have only played two Cordobas, and would not recommend them, considering that a decent Cigano isn't much more money and is a much better instrument.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

@rmatichak Denis is Denis Chang. He is DC Music School, and is both a great instructor and historian of this music and its players.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Denis is an international treasure.

It would be very lucky, any time you could spend with him...

Buco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."