DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazzers in Portland Oregon?

aRealGypsyaRealGypsy Clackamas Oregon✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in North America Posts: 24
i mean seriously, is their anyone in this city that plays gypsy jazz?

i've met maybe one or two at the most...( and yes one of them is pete krebs) and to be honest, ive been to seattle where there are plenty of Guzhay that play.. but few in oregon that i know of..?

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    what? I thought Portland was a hotbed for this stuff...if you look at the member list, there's 20 or so people from Portland on this forum alone. Send out some messages!

best,
    Jack.
  • lmntrylmntry Portland , Oregon✭✭✭✭
    :shock: WHAT ?

Well , I'll admit that there are probably few Gypsy jazzers way out in Clackamas....But there are scores of us in the City. (Portland)

Check out the PDX Yahoo site...

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/pd ... =153047885

There are 1 to 2 jams a week , and Gypsy jazz gigs all week , every week.

Here are a few bands of the last few years.

Gadjo djazz
    Django's tiger
    The Djangophiles
    Kung pao chickens
    Gypsy jazz trio
    Portland swing
    12th avenue hotclub
    Metro swing
    Clambake
    Tracy Kim trio
    Pete Krebs trio
    Swing Papillon
    Everythings Jake
    Gypsy cab
    Desvairada
    Rose City Hot Club
    Stumptown Swing
    Djangovitis
    Well swung Gypsies
    Gypsy Jazz West

I know I'm forgetting some....but you get the idea...These bands are out there playing shows all around Portland.

Join the PDX Yahoo group and introduce yourself

David
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I would say we have about 13 bass players, about 40 guitar players, 2 clarinets, and 5-6 violin players? Thats a rough guess.
  • aRealGypsyaRealGypsy Clackamas Oregon✭✭✭
    this is all news to my ears! of i would like to get some jam sessions, im all excited now lol
  • symboliquesymbolique wellington, new zealandNew
    I was in America in April and with extended family who live there. Unfortunately I only got to spend 2 days in Portland (great city, reminded me of home, Wellington NZ) and my relatives took me to a cafe/restuarant, called something like Mississippi Station or something? A duet were playing there, with a little vox at times near the window at the front.

If you two are here thanks! After coming back from a disappointing jazz hunt in New Orleans (french street only...) it was fantastic to be hit unexpectedly with gypsy jazz. (I did tip and thank as well)

Best
    Jason
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Fun stuff... a duo with voice - yes it sounds like you met Pete Krebs and David Langenes. David bought my 7th guitar... he really liked the idea that it has 007 on the soundboard as he is a James Bond fan. ;) That area is such a cool and yet very mellow place. A lot of the gypsy artists in Portland live in that district. The little restaurant you were in is attached to a studio-performance space which has hosted local, national & international gypsy jazz bands. If you draw a slightly larger circle to include a couple other nearby music-friendly neighborhoods, you'll find pubs/venues that have hosted the Pete Krebs Trio, The Stolen Sweets, Swing Papillon, the Djangophiles, the Djangomatics, the Kung Pao Chickens, 12th Avenue Hotclub, Everything's Jake, Hot Club Sandwich, Pearl Django, Patrick Saussois, Marcelo Damon, Klezmocracy, Stephane Wrembel, Dennis Chang, Romain Vuillemin, Norig, Sebastien Giniaux, Robin Nolan, Andreas Oberg, Kruno Spisic... I wanna say we've had Gonzalo Bergara and Alphonse Ponticelli and Billet Deux play in that part of town but I'm not 100% sure. Who am I missing... hmmm... I was told that I missed a jam with Samson and Tchavolo & Dorado Schmitt at the Clinton Street Cafe on their way back through from Djangofest but as I wasn't there I can't be sure about that. Yeah, that's a neat little area and you were right in the center of it.

Good places to look up if you find yourself in Portland include:

Mississippi Station, Mississippi Studios, Mississippi Pizza, Alberta Street Pub, Amnesia Brewery, Clinton Street Cafe, Artichoke Music, The Old Church, the Moon & Sixpence, the Laurelthirst Pub, Sapphire Hotel, McMenamins Pubs, the Lucky Labrador ... probably others - those just top of mind. They're all very gypsy jazz friendly places and you're bound to find someone playing a swing or gypsy gig. Thank God for them - if there were no gypsy jazz friendly pubs/venues in Portland, there would be no gypsy jazz in Portland. Our problem is that our jams get too big and we wind up getting booted from places. It's a good problem to have, but still... a problem.
    David Lawrence
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • jmoosejmoose New

Howdy Hi, Gypsy Jazzers of Portland! I am Jeffrey Moose, a member of Bainbridge Island's

Ranger and the Re-Arrangers,

a Django band that plays in the Puget Sound. I am a percussionist and vocalist and would love to jam some Gypsy Jazz this weekend (6.21-23) while visiting Rip City. I will travel with bongos, brush sticks, a tambourine and possibly a small cymbal. I know a huge piece of Django's music plus a ton of standards and love to sing. Jam anyone?

djangology
  • crothcroth ✭✭

I think there are a couple of things you can do to be proactive.

The first is to place an ad in craigslist. This has been very successful for me. Word the title carefully so that it readily comes up in searches. I have gotten GJ groups together in two cities that I split time between with this approach.

The second would be to start a Meetup group in your area.

You might be pleasantly surprised at the responses you'll get. Best of luck.

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

there is a band playing at Ford Food and Drink friday at 6pm. This isn't and open jam tho.

There is an open jam at Ruse Brewing on Saturday at 3pm. All are welcome at that jam, it is a gypsy jazz specific jam

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    edited June 2020 Posts: 1,018