DjangoBooks.com

New member looking for used guitar

Always wanted to learn how to play gypsy jazz. Looking for an affordable guitar. Anyone got anything?!?! The choices on Reverb.com are pretty slim.....please let me know as its a holiday gift to myself.

I've been playing for about 15 years and can get a decent gypsy tone out of an old simon and patrick acoustic I put silk and steels on.....but it's not a cutaway....and isn't the exact tone I was hoping for.

Thanks!

Comments

• Welcome! What do you want to spend?
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    Spend every last dollar you will ever make! Nothing beats getting a good GJ guitar, although it may kill off your guitar lust forever, it has for me, and that is way more than amazing to me.
    Seriously though, set a price you are comfortable with and don't go above that, there are more of these guitars our there than you think, if you can just be patient. I never have been, but maybe you can!
    Well the entry level cigano is like 400....cj10....

But I wanted to save up till mid december and maybe spend like 800-1000. Anyone got any leads? I've seen a few dell arte models go around that price. Are they worth buying? Or should I just go cheap and grab a cigano.....
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Advice from a guy whom has been playing GJ for going on 4 years and has been through a Gitane DG-255, a Paris Swing GG-39, and a Cigano GJ-10. Of the entry level guitars, the Gitane was well made, but had an overtone problem. The Paris Swing sounded the best of the 3, but lacked volume. The Cigano sounds fairly authentic, and plays quite well. I figure it offers the best value of the three, and I'll keep it around as a travel/back up guitar. The trouble with Ciganos is that they vary greatly in quality and tone, and it is smart to try them, or deal with a vendor that knows GJ guitars. I did finally buy a French guitar and it is worth every $$ spent. If you're in the Baltimore area check out luthier Craig Bumgarner. He is making some great guitars.
    Word.

Cj10 on Monday might be real cheap.......musicians friend with the coupon is 330 shipped
    I was also surprised to find absolutely none of these gypsy jazz guitars used on guitar centers website....
  • t-birdt-bird Portland, Oregon Castelluccia Nuages, Dupont Nomade
    I am also a proponent of the Cigano. I've owned a Cigano GJ-0, a Gitane DG-250M, and a Paris Swing GG-42 and firmly believe the Cigano is the way to go sub $800.

Cj10 on Monday might be real cheap.......musicians friend with the coupon is 330 shipped
    I was also surprised to find absolutely none of these gypsy jazz guitars used on guitar centers website....

The small amount you'd save isn't worth it. Buy it from a reputable gypsy guitar dealer (like djangobooks). Or hold out until you find one you can play first.
    MichaelHorowitz
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Here is a possible good one in Orlando: http://orlando.craigslist.org/msg/5871170673.html
    Im looking for a petite bouche. Anyone think that aria is a good deal?

Yeah if I can swing the setup special here from django books I'll probably do that.

Gotta pay the gypsy tax I guess haaha.
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    My opinion is go with the Altamira M01 from Djangobooks, it's a petit bouche. It comes with a free setup special, so no additional cost there. If thats too much for you than just wait for one to come up used on eBay.
    MichaelHorowitz