DjangoBooks.com

Best deal around € 3.000?

Good evening everyone,
here is Gabriele - new to this fantastic forum! I am approaching my first "important" selmer style guitar, and I'm seriously stuck at searching the best deal between luthiers with a budget of 2.500 - 3.000 euros. Actually I'm stuck between these incredible luthiers and their models:
- AJL, model 503 (XO is too expensive atm for me)
- Eimers, model Quatre (indian)
- Eimers, model Antique (brazilian) used 2015
- Gaffiero, model with indian palysander
- Maurice Dupont, model MD100 (I don't like the sound of MD60, MD100 is too expensive 3.4k base)

Could you please provide me some feedback to help me thinning out the "choice fog" ? Different choices are welcome!

Thank you a lot!

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    edited November 2016 Posts: 2,161
    the best deal is the guitar that you try yourself and fall in love with. it's the best answer anyone will be able to give you. it's the advice i give to everyone who asks.

It's kinda like asking which size shoes you should get.

There are guitars out there that some people absolutely love that others don't and vice versa. Assuming that the craftsmanship is all equal (no structural problems), you simply have to try one before buying. I'm also not into the idea of commissioning a guitar (sorry luthiers) , because no two guitar will be the same. Two weeks ago, I had the opportunity to try two Dupont Vieilles Reserves, I like them both, but definitely felt one was superior to the other , but that was just me, because someone else might feel the other one was superior (or love both or hate both).

If you don't know what you like, then you stick to whatever you have at the moment or one of those budget guitars like Gitane/Altamira until you figure out your preferences.
  • Thank you Denis for your kind answer!
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    All I can say is: JWC
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    I think Gonzalo is playing with a Freschi guitar. You can also try TFOA.eu, I think they ship for free in Europe. I love the way Eimers guitars sound, especially Kevin Nolan on rhythm. Check out this video for rhythm guitar by the Nolans.
  • Thank you for your kind advices, very welcome!
  • rob.cuellarirob.cuellari ✭✭✭✭
    I'd recommend that waiting for a good deal from another player who's looking for a different sound could also be a good approach.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Another idea would be to keep saving and wait until summer then go to Samois, try every guitar in the island and buy the one you fall in love with
    t-birdjonpowl