DjangoBooks.com

ToneRite device?

Anyone tried ToneRite device? It is supposed to make guitars sound louder and richer, wonder how does it work in reality?

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    ToneRite Guitar 3G
    older thread…

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/13184/

love mine, I keep it on one of my guitars all the time.

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    Has anyone done a scientific examination of the results of this device? You know, scopes, good mikes, comparative readings, etc?
  • I don't understand the necessity of the tonerite.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    The gizmo is effective in getting a new guitar to the first level of broken in. It sort of gets the tree used to being a guitar so to speak. Quickly.
    If you have an old instrument that hasn't been played in months or years it can "wake it up".
    Playing is more effective and is the most effective method of clearing up the tone of an instrument.
    Some people have large collections and so don't have time to play all the instruments.
    Dealers also use this sort of device to break in instruments after major restorations.
    There are also systems that just pump sound into the instrument , sort of a mini speaker system that is in full contact with the top. You can plug in your mp3 player and blast the instrument with your whole library 24 hours a day.Its loud enough for the strings to vibrate. Makes quite a racket actually.
    That gizmo works as well.
    It even works on electric guitars, solid bodies even.
    Clarifies the tone.
    I don't use them much.
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    To be more specific regarding my comment, I am surprised, for as long as this device is been around, and with the sheer number of gearhead luthiers and players that abound, that a more scientific approach has not occurred with this device. I mean, after all, there must be a way to measure tone variance.

I got one myself because I have the luxury of being able to afford one. I stuck it on my Altamira M10D for the suggested amount of time. I think I can tell a difference regarding a more rounded, full, and expressive tone. But, again, this subjective observation and, at worst, wishful thinking. I also attached it to a Taylor guitar that I have not been playing and, again, it seems to have improved its tone. (I've been playing the Altamira quite a bit, on the other hand.)

So, again, I ask, has anyone done a scientific, measured analysis of this device?
  • Thanks Al.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    So, again, I ask, has anyone done a scientific, measured analysis of this device?

The answer is no.
    I've been in contact with the distributor of one such device and they are in no way forthcoming about any "study" or anything of that nature.
    As cynical as some of my friends and I in the guitar business may or may not be the general consensus is that these things work.
    People that have been in the world of string instruments know that the tone of an instrument clarifies if its used.
    These devices seem to exercise the instrument . Playing is better, but these work.
    If you need more than that your going to have to fund your own study.
    pickitjohn
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Definitely works for me. Even 8 hours after the initial 72 hour break in…

CAN BE HEARD

Don't need science just ears.

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    It doesn't matter if it works. It only matters if buyers think it works. Guitar players can convince themselves of anything.

Not knocking it at all, and it may be the real deal, but musicians get weird over gear. Back in the proverbial "day", the self-appointed wise heads would tell you absolutely that the color of plastic bobbin in your Les Paul's humbuckers clearly affected the tone, and the world was divided into three camps. Black bobbins, cream bobbins, and "zebra" bobbins, the last being the winner by consensus. There were many equally righteous debates over equally inane and unprovable tone topics. Obviously, this fell into the "how many angels fit on the head of a pin" category. In other words, it was a total bullshit argument. The color of a bobbin could in no way affect anything tonal.

Here's the thing: it should be extremely easy to measure sonic differences before and after, so the fact that the manufacturer is not "forthcoming" about any evidence suggests it has either not been done (which would be stupid if you're the company making it), or it has been done and no measurable difference exists. Or they are hoping no one will ask.

That said, when Al Watsky speaks, I generally listen. If Al hears a difference, I'm willing to concede that there just might be something to it…but I'm not buying one, at least until the study comes out.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Craig DenneyCraig Denney Columbus, Ohio✭✭ 2011 Zwinakis
    It works!

The guitar player is the ultimate judge. We're the ones who hear our guitars 95% of the time, and we know if there's any kind of change in tone.

The ToneRite gets the top moving, via the ToneRite being in contact with the bridge. I hear there's a big difference if it's left on for 3 weeks.

It definitely kills strings though. For gypsy jazz, it might be great for tone, and breaking in strings.