DjangoBooks.com

Invite to my new How to Play Western Swing Guitar blog

oldsoutholdsouth New
edited January 2013 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 52
Hello all - it has been a while since I posted anything or have been active. I'd like to say that I've been woodshedding, but actually the day job has gotten in the way.

I began talking with a guy about forming a western swing band last month and started putting together email lessons on some basics. I decided to put them on a blog so others could benefit. This is still very much in development and has no followers yet - the videos are very rough, just recorded with my laptop. If the blog gets some readers, I'll redo the videos with more organization, a camera and mic.

This post is not about Gypsy Jazz, so I apologize if I put it in the wrong place. The lessons are free and I'm just doing this for fun and a love of all sub-genres of swing. Even if you have no interest in western swing, you may find a useful chord or progression there.

So, please check out westernswingguitar.blogspot.com. Please follow it, if that is something you do - comment, ask questions, offer advice or criticism and tell anyone you know who may be interested in playing western swing (or swing rhythm in general) about it. In the future, I'll get into lead playing a little - single string, thumbpicking and chord melody and probably teach a few songs int their entirety.

Comments

• Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Hot dog! Western Swing is some great, great stuff and I'm sure there will be plenty'a folk here interested. What is the link to your blog? AE
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Hot dog! Western Swing is some great, great stuff and I'm sure there will be plenty'a folk here interested. What is the link to your blog? AE

What Archtop said. :D
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • oldsoutholdsouth New
    Cool - I'm glad y'all are interested!

westernswingguitar.blogspot.com
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Yeah, what Eddy said, from me, too. I for one don't mind at all that you posted this in a GJ forum. I've got a feeling that there are a lot of Western Swing fans on here. Bob Wills' guitarists probably listened to the Hot Club Quintet. Western Swing rhythm is not the same as GJ, but you can hear similarities.

There's a moment in the last chorus of the 1937 Lady Be Good with Grappelli, Eddie South, and Michael Warlop on violins (starting at the 2:55 mark) where you'd swear you were listening to the Texas Playboys.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Wow, I just looked at your blog. Great stuff! Thanks for the page on Emmett Miller, a mostly unrecognized pioneer. And I finally know how to pronounce Quebe Sisters!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • oldsoutholdsouth New
    Thanks Klaatu. Be sure to give hugh and Karl Farr a listen - the Farr Brothers were the musical core of the Sons of the Pioneers. Their stuff on their own is very much informed by Lang and Venuti and by the Hot Club. Another great duo was Clayton McMichen and Hoyt "Slim" Bryant - harder to find their stuff though.
    I grew up listening to the Sons of the Pioneers, many Saturday afternoon Western matinees back in the 50s. I haven't listened to the Farr Brothers on their own, though, thanks for the tip.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Ben said: I for one don't mind at all that you posted this in a GJ forum. I've got a feeling that there are a lot of Western Swing fans on here.

I second Ben's thoughts on this and say, "By all means please feel free to discuss Western Swing here!" AE
  • Careful. It might be contagious LOL
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • lacrossehotclublacrossehotclub La Crosse WI✭✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    Cool and great timing - lately I've been working with the Whit Smith's Chordination DVDs, which are another great resource. The Hot Club of Cowtown rides that line between gypsy jazz and western swing quite well.