DjangoBooks.com

Tchan-tchou Vidal: La gitane

andmerandmer New York✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 92
OK, I'm not a good reviewer but if you don't have this album yet, go get it pronto.

I have always heard/read the name of Tchan-tchou Vidal, in the forums and on the videos and was aware of his influence/repertoire but I'd never actually heard him really until now and all I can say is WOW.

This album is amazing, its recorded perfectly, It feels like your at the gig and listening live. Its also quite interesting to hear drums on this genre, I really enjoy the different vibe you get with it.

I got the digital download on amazon for just $7.99! Michael may sell the CD here, I'm not certain.

http://www.amazon.com/La-gitane-Gypsy-J ... s_ep_dpi_1

Comments

• AhabAhab GB✭✭
    In this style it is without a doubt one of the best recordings out there. Tchan-tchou's tone is incredible, his Favino sounds so distinctive and his accompanists play perfectly.

Two things really stand out on the recording, the drummer, who plays flawlessly with brushes - it such a nice, lush texture, the acoustic guitars and the brushes together, and the other thing that stands out is how warm and well recorded it sounds. I've never quite understood the trend in modern jazz manouche recordings in saturating the guitars in digital reverb, playing with high compression and relatively loud mastering. In my opinion it makes the guitars sound plastic and slightly unatural. By contrast, on La Gitane, the guitars sound warm and full of resonance, the old spring reverb provides the perfect ambiance for Tchan-Tchou's style of playing.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    One of the things that makes me gaga about Tchan-Tchou's playing is the sheer staccato machine gun prowess that goes along with the tone. There is this space between every single note, each is distinct and they don't slur into each other ... his technique is just so precise! I love it.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Ahab, the "La Gitane" recordings were done on a Joseph di mauro (the elder) guitar, not a Favino. Favino's didn't exist then.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • andmerandmer New York✭✭✭
    Ahab, the "La Gitane" recordings were done on a Joseph di mauro (the elder) guitar, not a Favino. Favino's didn't exist then.

Interesting, good to know.
  • AhabAhab GB✭✭

My mistake! I thought that his guitar sounded quite Favino like, and in the reissued version of the album there's a picture of Tchan-Tchou clearly playing a Favino on the front. I stand corrected! His guitar still sounds great though.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Ahab--

He was certainly a Favino player most of his career. But Favino didn't emerge as a luthier until the late '50's/early '60's (Teddy G, Scot Wise, or Teddy Dupont could tell you better than I can), and the "la Gitane" sessions are from the early-mid 50's, if I remember right.

But the big key to Tchan Tchou's sound was that he picked very near the bridge. I have a Joseph di Mauro as well as a very early Favino, and great as both guitars are, they don't sound like Tchan Tchou when I play them! Most modern players seem to play nearer the sound hole than he did, which really changes the tone. I would have loved to put the di Mauro together with Moreno, or some other Tchan Tchou disciple to hear how close to his tone it could get.

Michael
  • AhabAhab GB✭✭
    And no doubt he played with a MUCH higher action too!
    I think you can count on that... 8)
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    That's 1/3 of what I call the Holy Trinity; Tchan-tchou, Matelo, and Baro.

I would recommend all 3.
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    "Guitare-Partie" actually came out in 1964, so it could certainly have been a Favino. There is some great video of him playing with Moreno Winterstein on youtube. He's playing a nylon-string guitar and yet with Tchan-tchou's strong and staccato attack, it sounds like a steel-string. Amazing! I think he was one of those guitarists who got the same sound no matter what guitar he played.

On the original VHS he also plays some crazy Mediterranean music where even Moreno was having a hard time keeping up. Maybe someone will post this soon...

No doubt, Tchan-tchou was one of the best ever. He had great musical sense and an incredible right hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G46j2u-v ... el&list=UL