DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
    hi, this looks very tempting ! about the the video portion , will i be able to use the disc in the dvd player ? thank you
    shut up and play your guitar
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The videos are quicktime files....I think a newer DVD player may play it. But it's not a fully functional DVD so you're better of using a computer DVD drive.
  • blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
    Thank You !
    shut up and play your guitar
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    gonzalo is a phenomenal player ... such finesse!
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    Who needs another lick book??? Well this latest effort from Gonzalo has quickly become a welcome addition to my large collection of gypsy jazz materials. Gonzalo lays out solos to six standard GJ tunes with detailed measure by measure explanations that are very helpful - even for advanced players. He throws in licks from Birelli and Stochelo along the way and talks about where he "breaks the rules" to make his lines sound good. The "homemade" look of this book with handwritten tabs and even occasional spelling errors takes nothing away from its wealth of content - this is one meaty offering! As a crossover guy who is still looking to make real gypsy music, it was useful to study the extensive use of diminished licks/patterns in Gonzalo's solos. This area was a real eye opener for me and really changed the way I am currently thinking about solos (and not just for dominant chords BTW).

There is also an accompanying CD with videos of his fingerings and low/high speed sound files of the licks. Quality is so-so - but the content is totally the bomb.

Get one before it becomes a scarce item. These "homemade" books in my experience do not last very long (no publisher to squeeze long term profits) and often offer the best value. Destined to become a collectors item for sure.

Highly recommended FIVE STARS.
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    The nice thing about Quicktime video files is you can play them in Transcribe and slow them down while retaining pitch. Also, you can place markers for play back. All this is much better than the standard DVD player. I've converted some instructional videos to Quicktime but it is time consuming and bit troublesome. Nice to have them ready to go.

Craig
    Just got the new G. Bergara book on playing Gypsy Jazz. It's chock full of nice licks, but the main thing that caught my attention was the fact that he discusses simply mixing and matching licks for the various chords in a given tune. I've been thinking along those lines for a few months myself, and it makes learning how to improvise much more manageable. If you think about it, when you learn how to negotiate a tune in the key of G major, you've basically set yourself up to play over all the other tunes in G major. If you compare all the tunes in this key (Lady Be Good, Dinah, Sweet Sue, etc.), you'll quickly see that the same progressions are used again and again. Just learn the progressions and plug in some licks. It's not complete improv, true, but this approach teaches you how to learn the neck very well so you can begin to play around. I like the fact that Gonzalo's book takes this no-nonsense approach, and I more than recommend it. This book will give you many nice licks you can work out all over the guitar's neck, and at $30 it's much cheaper than an hour lesson with a master player.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    We bought this book at DFLA following Gonzalo's workshop. You want to talk all meat and no filler? This is the book for that. Yes, the production values are "folksy," but there is so much material here to soak up. The text is densly packed to fit all on one page, so sometimes it's like reading the phone book. I've been working out of it for two months (during my lunch breaks), and I haven't progressed much past his ideas on Minor Swing! It's an incredible value. Get it.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • symboliquesymbolique wellington, new zealandNew
    I like the look of this, but does it have notation as well and not just only tab? That was the reason why I didn't buy the Nolan books.

Regards
    Jason
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    TAB only...