DjangoBooks.com

Gonzalo Bergara: How I Learned Vol.1: Gypsy Jazz Instruction

2»

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Michael,

Is there a way to slow down the Quicktime video on a PC?

Thanks
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    Transcribe slows down quicktime video:
    http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/video.html

It's $50, but it will be the best $50 you ever spent on guitar learning tools. Seriously.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Thanks
  • tpmorgtpmorg New
    This remarkable little book came at just the right time for me. My philosophy with learning in general is that simplicity is the key to comprehension. And as my physics teacher said years ago: people who understand a topic the best can explain it in the simplest terms. Bergara seriously understands this topic and this book does more in 20 pages than other books do in 200.

I am very tired because I was up way too late going through the tunes. Again, this may have just come to me at the exact right time in my playing development, but I can't stress the value I've gained from it. I've had it 2 days and I'm already a better player. It's not so much the innovation (not insubstantial); it's the concise connecting of the dots. I kept saying Oh! Of course! and then Oh! I seriously wish all books had this kind of clarity. Wonderful, connected lines with credible explanations for all of the ideas. It's drastically helped me to stop just reacting with my default and to always think.

One may say it's a bit pricey, but not me. Not only am I very pleased to support this kind of artist, but the benefit I personally gain from it is hard to put a dollar value on. Leave us say, I am positively ordering volume two. Gonzalo is an ambassador of art, an epic player and an excellent teacher. I almost don't want to tell the people in the local group I play with - they'll learn all my tricks!!
  • BosshaarBosshaar New
    Is this a good tool for introduction to the style? Just want to start in the right level.
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    Bosshaar wrote:
    Is this a good tool for introduction to the style? Just want to start in the right level.
    i´d say it´s a very good introduction to the style if you team it up with Michael Horowitz Gypsy Picking tutorial book. that´s a killer combo, IMHO, as it gives you both the technical and musical exercises to keep you growing. Gonzalo´s book is also great for beginners for it´s no frills / keep it simple attitude.
    Cheers,
    Miguel.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I agree. You absolutely need instruction on the basic techniques of the style, and Michael's book is the only one to delve into that in any detail. Gonzalo presents a series of written-out solos that illustrate the use of arpeggios linked together to form a coherent whole, arpeggios being the foundation of gypsy soloing, plus he gives you a detailed measure-by-measure analysis of each solo. Other books give you a series of licks and phrases that you can use to build your own solos, which can sometimes lead to playing a series of disjointed licks. Gonzalo does just the reverse, entire solos from which you can also pick out licks to use elsewhere.

But there is very little discussion of technique; it is assumed that you have the basics down already. You need Michael's book for that.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles