DjangoBooks.com

Gitane DG300 - what's wrong with the stock bridge?

Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
Forgive my ignorance. Newbie here.

Many posts discuss the need to change or upgrade the stock bridge on the Gitane DG300 and other Gitane models. Why is this necessary? Poor design? Poor materials? Is this an absolute necessity to make the instrument gigworthy?
Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Generally it's too heavy and overbuilt. Also, they didn't flare the ends up so it sits on the braces which is a no no. It tends to mute the tone...especially the high end. Usually a better bridge makes a big difference but some people seem indifferent.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I had Josh Hegg make a bridge for my DG-300 and it absolutely transformed the guitar. It increased the volume and added a richness to the tone that wasn't there with the old Saga stock bridge. After I upgraded to a Manouche, the Jorgenson was expendable, and the buyer played it with both bridges. After the stock bridge, he wasn't much impressed. Then we put Josh's bridge on and he was sold. Saga doesn't make a bad guitar, but their bridges are the audio equivalent of wrapping a bulky canvas tarp around Catherine Zeta Jones. It hides the best assets.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Does Josh need the guitar in hand to make the bridge?
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    No, we talked on the phone and I gave him the serial number (apparently the specs can change slightly over the production run) and some measurements and we talked about how high I wanted the action. Within a week I had a new bridge in the mail that fit perfectly. He did say some sanding might be required, but when it showed up, it just popped right into place without needing a thing. Josh is so familiar with these guitars that he can make them without your having to ship the instrument.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    If you order the guitar from this site, you could have Josh make the bridge before they ship to you. Just order the guitar with the custom bridge.
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    Hey Tele 259!!!
    I figured we'd be safe from all the "Mod" stuff here!!! :lol:
    I'm gonna go for a Barden...oppps...."le Barden' " bridge, m'self!!! Cryogenicly Petrified Ebony for the bass saddles and Upsidasium for the trebles...... 8)
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
    I'll speak up for josh's bridge also. That thing absolutely changed the sound of my jj300 for the better. I got a slightly higher action, which in turn led me to adjust the neck, and i wound up not only with a louder guitar that didnt buzz anywhere as much, but the timbre of the instrument took on a much more pleaseing character , the sound became a bit tighter and more focused. the only negative was the reverby overtones were also louder !!! But overall, man, did that guitar cut through the other instruments.
    shut up and play your guitar
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Hey Tele 259!!!
    I figured we'd be safe from all the "Mod" stuff here!!! :lol:
    I'm gonna go for a Barden...oppps...."le Barden' " bridge, m'self!!! Cryogenicly Petrified Ebony for the bass saddles and Upsidasium for the trebles...... 8)

Nah, Ian - it's universal. Everybody has to tweak or customize or personalize. Doesn't matter if it's us guitar players or computer hotrodders or teenagers at the mall looking for cell phone bling. Everybody's looking for that extra "push" over the edge.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Michael,

What do you mean by "Also, they didn't flare the ends up so it sits on the braces which is a no no."

Thanks
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Bones wrote:
    Michael,

What do you mean by "Also, they didn't flare the ends up so it sits on the braces which is a no no."

Thanks

The traditional Selmer bridges are flared up at the end so they don't sit on the braces. Dupont and every other Luthier worth his salt (or with a different brace design) will do this to keep direct pressure off the braces.

'm