DjangoBooks.com

Gitane DG300 - what's wrong with the stock bridge?

2»

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Sorry to be a dissenting voice on this one, but reading F Charles Selmer book strongly suggests that the bridge was designed so that the feet did sit on the braces. And I think the pressure exerted on the unsupported area of a 3mm thick spruce top rather than the short longitudinal struts would cause some damage or at the least a depression between the horizontal braces.

I would be interested to hear opinions from any guitar builders on this one as I'm about to embark on two builds.
    always learning
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the feet DO sit on the braces.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I just looked closely at my Selmer and Maccaferri blueprints from RF Charle and it looks like there is a little relief under the bridge on the outside of the little braces. So the feet of the bridge actually sit on the braces but do not sit on top of the spruce outside of the braces very far.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    The bridge sits on struts that connect the braces - maybe that's a semantic difference...
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Sorry, i meant that the bridge is designed so that the feet are sitting on the struts but not on the wood around it which seems to have a dampening effect.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Ah, that makes sense.

Thanks Michael and Bob!
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    I think we are talking about following this type of contact with the ends of the bridge flared,as with this Selmer bridge diagram.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Now that I have a Jorgenson to call my own, I understand what you guys have been telling me about the stock bridge. Oh, Jo-ooooshhhhh.....
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com