DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• ddoneillddoneill ✭✭✭✭
    how do the stimers compare with the bigtone pickups? would either have an acceptable(a highly subjective notion and one fraught with peril) sound plugged straight in(without extensive EQ'ing)? thanks
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The bigtone (a piezo pickup) and the Stimer (magnetic) have totally different sounds. You should read this:

viewtopic.php?t=3850

'm
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    How do these compare to original Stimers?

And BTW, how does one correctly pronounce Stimer?
    They are a big improvement over the original Stimer and the early reissues. Much better string to string balance and a warmer, fatter sound.

I've had several customers with old ones try these and immediately upgrade to the new ones.

It's pronounced stee - mare (ste as in ste-ven) - (mare like the female horse)
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Hi Michael,

I have a vintage Stimer and a Dupont reissue (about 2 years old). You are correct that the new one is warmer in tone though I think that may be a result of where it mounts on the guitar. The reissue clips on against the neck, whereas the original is over the soundhole.

The original uses a better cable system (RCA plug vs 1/8" jack) and has a more attractive case (stamped logo vs cheesy engraving job). That said, I heartily recommend the reissue. It will give you a great alternative to a piezo pickup.

To my ear the string to string balance is about the same. You get a hot B string, just like all the DeArmonds except the Super Chief (which had adjustable pole pieces). Nickel strings help, but the B still is out front.

Thanks for setting the record straight on pronunciation. It always bugs me to hear guys say it wrong.

Cheers,

Marc

www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
    Many of the new ones also have the RCA jack....some have the mini plug.
    They are a big improvement over the original Stimer and the early reissues.
    Hi Michael. I'm about to buy an used Stimer pickup. How could I know if it's an early reissue or one of the newer and better stimers?
    Many of the new ones also have the RCA jack....some have the mini plug
    Don't all the newer (and better sounding) stimers come with RCA jack?

Thanks.
  • FransFrans The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone expand on the difference between the Dupont reissue Stimer and the Swiss made Miller, has anybody ever considered doing a Stimer-type pickup with pole-pieces so the string balance can be adjusted ??
    thanks for any input and kind regards
    Frans
    Hi Michael. I'm about to buy an used Stimer pickup. How could I know if it's an early reissue or one of the newer and better stimers?

We have the new ones here:

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ca ... ckups.html

Don't all the newer (and better sounding) stimers come with RCA jack?

Not all the new ones have an RCA...many have a miniplug instead.
  • TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
    I have one of the Stimer re-issues, pressumably one of the newer ones, although i've had it for about 2 years now i think maybe a bit longer, the sound is warm and very Gibson L5 in character, very sweet.....on my Gitane. I have to use the Stimer upside down and towards the bridge side as their is'nt enough fret clearance the other way towards the finger board. The clip is not at all secure and whilst i like the sound i occasionally have to fuss with the fitting when it comes loose during a gig, perhaps a bit of blue tack or something would be the obvious solution here just to hold it in place. The other thing i note is that Gypsy strings are not as responsive on the wound strings due to the copper content, they are ok but the B & E always sound louder than the other 4 strings.

I did try the Schertler Dyn-G and thought the Stimer was my favourite of the two, I also quite like just an ordinary condenser mic for a really clean unadulterated sound.
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500