DjangoBooks.com

Cordoba Gitano D-5 Guitar, is it worth it?

jayjayjayjay New
edited January 2012 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 29
I am just getting into gypsy jazz. I now have a typical Martin style steel string and am wondering if the Cordoba Gitano D-5 is worth buying or if I would be better off starting on my current guitar and waiting until I can afford something better, in other words, is the Cordoba Gitano D-5 Guitar a piece of crap?

thanks.

Comments

• ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, if you are looking for a GOOD entry level gypsy jazz guitar just save up a few more hundred and buy one of the Gitane's. Trust me, it's worth the extra money. I have tried various Cordoba Gypsy Jazz guitars in Guitar Center's the country over and they really just don't have any tone, and are not loud at all. I don't think they are worth even $100 at best, and would be better off as a really pretty spittoon. Even Argentine strings don't seem to bring out the tone in these guitars.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and I would suggest you buy a Gitane...or if you are willing to spend a little more money a Manouche, Gallato, etc. or something from one of the various luthiers that abound.
  • blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
    the cordabas i've played in guitar center were very unimpressive. i have to agree with shawn about how the cordobas are not loud at all, i was drowned out by ibanez and fender acoustics. at one point i could'nt hear the cordoba over someone else playing a nylon string..it was , however, fun to play, i have the gitane jj, and the cordoba is'nt a pimple on the jj's ass, and from reading around these webpages, it seems like the gitanes are considered low end beginner gj guitars.
    shut up and play your guitar
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Keep in mind that the going price for a used 250, 255 or 500 Gitane in good condition is ~ $400. Not bad. Many of these have seen only a year or two playing as the owner moves up. Many used ones have been improved by previous owners with better bridges, setups, etc. Gitanes are pretty well built so barring accidents or mistreatment, they are usually in good shape used. They are sensitive to drying out.

BTW, saw Joel Beaver playing his Gitane 250 at Bar Tabac in Brooklyn last Tuesday. He sounded great! His rhythm player, sorry, didn't catch his name, played a D-500 and sounded fantasitc as well. (Bass player was fantastic as well, but pretty sure he was not playing a Gitane :lol: )

Craig (former D-250 owner)
  • _pedro___pedro__ GermanyNew
    I have a cordoba gitano D-5 for a year now and I can tell you: this guitar is not made for playing chords, chords really sound terrible. For soloing it's nice. But on the whole, I do not recommend to buy a cordoba. I also do not recommend to buy a saga gitane. Save your money for anything better or you will regret. Try a guitar that is at least 500 $ or higher.
    - Hot Club de la Lune -
  • HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
    Hey, the Gitanes are OK, but you can save up and get something that you won't outgrow so fast. [Yes,I do represent Manouche guitars for the Eastern US. There you go, full frontal disclosure!]
    Cordoba sounds pretty bogus. I've never played the guitars, I'm referring to the name. Do you really think that you could look someone in the eye and say that you own a Cordoba?? It sounds like Spanish for "cheap-knock-off." :lol: Just kidding! [I mean , really, bro'!]
    Hey, I'M sorry but I just was jamming with these Russians who sing
    beautiful harmony, and I also drank a whole bunch of Vodka!
    Mea culpa! Opa! Speciba!
    Best Thanksgiving ever!
    Barr-ski :P :P
  • joseph vochtjoseph vocht NebraskaNew
    While you all may be right about Cordoba gypsy jazz guitars, I must disagree with you all re the quality of other Cordoba guitars...I own the Gypsy King flamenco thin-line and it is a fantastic guitar both for classical and flamenco! Snobbery re guitars should have been gone a long time ago, after all it is the guitarist , in the end, and not so much the instrument that really counts. By the way, played them all, used to have my own guitar shop, been playing for over 55 years.
    "Don't fix it if it aint broke"
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    Welcome to the forum brother!
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • waldenjazzwaldenjazz Thoreau, NMNew
    Hi Doug... when will you be back in the US? are you going to NAMM this year??? I owe you an email or two I think! Hope you are well and glad to see someone else in here dislikes the guitar snobbery as much as I do... Really would like to meet up Doug and if you're ever in New Mexico I'll treat you to dinner and you can meet our daughters, Katherine from Nanfeng and Elizabeth from Hunan province... be well

Robert B
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    Hi Robert, PM sent.
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • losloloslo New
    Wow...let me put in my 2 cents

As an entry level gypsy jazz rhythm guitar I think with the right strings and setup the Cordoba
    will give you a taste of what playing a gypsy jazz guitar is like...get a used one($200 or so)
    They are as good or better than Ciganos, Arias, or Staggs.

The MOST IMPORTANT THING in getting a good sound is learning with people that are gypsy jazz today...

I have heard Joscho Stephan, Gonzalo Bergara, Denis Chang, etc play students/participants
    budget guitars at GJ camps and sound unbelievable..playing lead and rhythm..

I've also seen participants with Shelly Park, Selmers, and other big bucks guitars use Wegan picks, and Argentine strings and sound like you know what...

It's all in the brain, and then the hands and thats it.

I would go see Joscho, Gonzalo, Denis, The Rosenbergs, etc if they played Cordoba's - or Harmonys
    for that matter.

Also, there's no snob value in Gitanes...no pro's actually use them..endorse them yes, but use them to perform, no..and certainly not a production line one(I know about the Jorgensenand his Gitane at Samois story)..they really are student guitars...at best something you won't be heartbroken about if lost or stolen.

also ..Latcho Drom Guitars..Instructors at my last camp were (not so secretly)actually mocking the sound of a students L. D. and gave him an extra "hanging around the place" guitar as a substitute to play that sounded better..

If you are in Montreal, your money is better spent on a few lessons with Denis ... or take a ride
    to a camp like Django in June in Massachussetts...you can pick up a few pearls that will get
    you playing like a gypsy...not just a gypsy guitar owner...

Now you may bring an onslaught of "this guys an idiot" comments..Thanks in advance