DjangoBooks.com

Eddy Davis - The Manhattan Ministrel

Eddy has passed away, and I thought we must just do something to honor him.

I was thinking about digitalizing his whole library of Youtube. Does someone want to help out?

Thank you

Comments

I wish I was helpful but alas I don’t have the ability nor time for that kind of thing. I will say I’ve watched and learned from Eddie Davis since I started learning tenor at 17 years old over 10 years ago and would love to see this work done.

voondracula

You could help us to start to transcribe some of his music on a piece of paper... I can digitize them...

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited May 2023 Posts: 1,855

I’m a plectrum player but always enjoyed Eddie’s many contributions to the BHO.

Somewhere in my basement I have a couple of LP’s from Eddy’s early days.

Will

PS And also… how about a shoutout to all the other closet banjo players who may be lurking out there…?

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • plankityplankity CTNew
    edited May 2023 Posts: 108

Hey! I only recently started checking out Eddy - and have begun digging in on a nice tenor banjo which I picked up for a song. I'm playing DGbe (Chicago tuning) bare fingered -- looking to continue a project from pre-pandemic times with tuba, trombone, clarinet, and guitar (now tenor banjo)

Maybe we should start a tenor banjo topic/category? @Jack told me he's been playing his tenor

pictured: 1928 B & D Special #1

BucoWillierudolfochristDoubleWhiskyBillDaCostaWilliams

I play CGDA, the tuning Eddy used. But I can't transcribe his whole thing all by myself, as Irving Berling would say...

Would it not be better if we team up by email? I don't know how this "topic" here works...

Let me know

• plankityplankity CTNew

I was recently gifted with a zip file containing 3.4 GB of videos (mainly mp4 but a few FLV) of Eddy's postings - in case anything happens, I have those off-line should anyone need something, I probably have it.

billyshakes
  • plankityplankity CTNew

Just read this comment. Can you upload it there?