DjangoBooks.com

Women playing Gypsy Jazz guitar

13»

Comments

• TomasTomas CzechNew Oval By luthier Jakub Hřib, Gitane birdseye maple "prototype model", Ibanez ag95qa

I recently looked for some good versions of "I Can't Give You Anything But Love" for inspiration and came across this version by Albanie Falletta. 

It has a really nice mood, and our singer was inspired by this.

WilliebillyshakesflacoBucoMikeKDoubleWhiskyBillDaCostaWilliams
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

And there is Marion Lenfant-Preus:

WillieBuco

Eh, who cares. Play music - if you can hang, hang out!

wim
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

Stumbled over this refreshing version of a romanian hora several weeks ago.

I like Lu Golovina's tone, her melodious solo playing, her violinist, and the whole recording with her (new?) quartet. Only two little bleatings: I think the rhythm player overslept the break after the intro, and the title is "Hora Lautareasca".

This is the same tune , recorded by pan flute virtuoso Gheorghe Zamfir years ago:

BillDaCostaWilliamsJangle_Jamie

Ladies now come to Django in June in much bigger numbers, on every instrument.

Williebillyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • luckylucky New
    edited April 26 Posts: 37

To be fair, this is an issue that isn't restricted to either gypsy jazz or the guitar, it's an endemic feature of jazz especially on the amateur scene. I play in several regular jazz jams and I'd say on the whole that the gender diversity in the gypsy jazz jams, though not great, is way above the straight ahead jams I play in. We have female guitarists, clarinet players, double bassists and singers in the two gypsy jazz jams I go to, all brilliant. The main straight ahead jazz jams are often only men and when we do have women join us it is typically either as singers or on keys, so I'd say that mainstream jazz is for some reason much more unwelcoming and conservative.

WillieBuco

You know, when this thread started, I thought of a local player, and asked another common friend if he thought she would mind having a video with her posted here. He replied saying as far as he knows her, she would hate being a part of "women in jazz" shout-outs. So there's that perspective too.

djazzyBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesWilliestrombolimusik
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Here in bonnie Scotland we're lucky enough to have a number of players of the female variety however they tend to be violinists and bassists. Very few guitarists, which is a shame. I suspect that the testosterone filled atmosphere of the jam sessions might have something to do with it.

Maybe it's just me but even I find the jam sessions to be a struggle with others at times to the detriment of the music. Most of the women that I know in this world are, successfully I might add, part of small. established working groups and conrtibute massively to the success of these bands.

Feel free to disagree.

BillDaCostaWilliamsWillie
    always learning

It's about the same ratio of female guitar players for every other genre. Except for the classical guitar, where there is a much more even ratio. Thinking about it, for me YT might even recommend more female classical guitar. So it's a result of global culture, the ridiculous "guitar isn't a girl instrument" notion. Luckily there are some who said to hell with that or have supportive families and there are world class players among females in gypsy jazz, jazz, blues, heavy metal, bluegrass, acoustic fingerstyle etc...

Did you all hear about Grace Bowers? 17 year old, plays blues rock mostly (could play anything obviously), has an insanely good tone, expression and virtuosity.

BillDaCostaWilliamsWillie
  • TwangTwang New
    edited April 27 Posts: 413