DjangoBooks.com

Women playing Gypsy Jazz guitar

Comments

• WillieWillie HamburgNew

Thanks again! Enjoyed the first video but can't open the second one.

I'm quite sure you did not play any Django tune in this location.

Astrastube, Bar 227 und Fundbureau together form the "Bermuda Triangle" under respectively close to the Stern bridge in Altona. In 2007 my niece did an album release concert for her Punk Rock band "Noah Sow und das Heimlich Maneuver" in the Bar 227 on the other side of the street (a little off topic, but at least she was playing guitar besides singing).

I would be happy if you let me know when you will be in Hamburg again! Bis denn denn.

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@Willie This is a constant problem in music and in particular jazz. It is very hard for singers, and even much harder for female players to get even treatment with their male counterparts. Glad to see people have mentioned the amazing locals (NYC) Sara and Lisa - both of whom are rather astounding guitarists and musicians (and humans). Also Tess Spaaij; and lets add Tess Bassie on bass (I know, 4 strings . . . )

There are more and I'm sure more then we know about!

Victorine Martin who's performed with Doudou, and Patrick Susssois.

Dotschy Reinhardt - in addition to being a great singer, is a rather good guitarist.

The amazing Luthier Shelly Park is a special guitarist as well.

And for those in the MD/Baltimore area - the excellent Christy Macdonald.

There are more and I'm sure more then we know about!

@pdg and in the music and music scenes in general should be more welcoming of the other - playing with and learning from people who are different and have different perspective is the whole thing IMHO.

Women in the arts, and in music in particular jazz get shunted into roles more of singer/violinist/pretty face too often, and kept out of the scene too often as well.

billyshakesWillie

This thread reminded me of this Django in June classic, Jazzie Flom and Christi Lao

WillieJangle_Jamie
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

@Willie

Enjoyed the first video but can't open the second one.

That's Serena Vignola. Great guitar player, his is her channel

The previous video may have been her take on Tchan Tchou's Dolores

WillieDoubleWhisky
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Her right hand looks so effortless. No tension at all.

Buco

Yes very flexible. Looks like she's not even trying, like this is just natural to her. I had to work deliberately on this for a long time.

billyshakes
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Yeah, I still struggle with that but it is getting better. Playing waltzes like this helped some, but I find the tension still sneaks in when playing fast triplets.

• WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited February 2023 Posts: 825

So we managed listing quite a bunch, but the forum itself really seems to be a boys club. 😕

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Here's a taste of Shelley Park chunking chords on one of her creations, I couldnt find any footage of her with Pearl Django. Nice crunchy rhythm--

https://youtu.be/RryEHGxHoNc

billyshakesWillie
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

And here's Isabelle Fontaine playing & singing with the Hot Club Of San Francisco--

Girl power!

Willie