DjangoBooks.com

BYO - Modèle Vagabond ‘Grande Bouche’ (for Jim).

whitneyguitarswhitneyguitars New Gitane DG-340 Modele Stephane Wrembel Model

Hey all!

I just wanted to share a commission that's been sent off to Mississauga, Ontario. This one features a 14-fret-to-body connection as well as a longer 670 mm fret scale - a bit of a hybrid of the original Selmer-Maccaferri designs.

A few other details:

• Custom Tailpiece by Montreal Artisan
  • Miller Swiss Selmer replica tuners
  • Santos rosewood laminated back / sides
  • Torrefied spruce top w/ traditional pliage
  • French polish finish

Thanks for taking a look and happy playing!

-Mike

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsBonesWillie

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator

Love that tailpiece.

whitneyguitarsBillDaCostaWilliams
  • whitneyguitarswhitneyguitars New Gitane DG-340 Modele Stephane Wrembel Model

Cheers, Bones.

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

That’s Tasty

whitneyguitars

@vanmalmsteen thank you!

• GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28
    edited February 2022 Posts: 115

Care to share a pic of the top-bracing scheme with final shaping, brace heights and top thicknesses? (Totally no prob if not/secret sauce, understood)

Asking because I’m in the middle of an oval/14th fret build right row.

Hey Gouch - I don't mind sharing. Attached is a photo during the build process before final shaping / sanding and voicing. Brace dimensions are pretty true-to-form from the François Charle plans - no huge deviations in this respect. Have fun with your build!

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams
  • GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28

Thanks- looks great!

whitneyguitars

Thanks Gouch! Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

What a great looking guitar. The grain on the top is so unusually distinct. Is that because of a photograph or that particular piece of wood or the torrefied wood process or...? Even the unfinished wood from underside looks spectacular. Would love to hear a sound clip.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    edited February 2022 Posts: 22

Thanks a ton, Buco - really appreciate the kind words.

The photos are pretty true to form. The 'toastiness' of the top is definitely due, in large part, to the torrefication of the spruce top. I used a blonde shellac for the soundboard, neck and head (a very light colour) and a garnet shellac for the back and sides that has a 'ruby' -like colour that really enhances the red/brown tones.

I also 'size' the soundboard with eggwhite before French polishing giving a subtle antiquing effect, which I believe comes from the proteins in the eggwhite reacting with the tannins in the wood. Finishing aside, most is inherent to the wood itself. As a sidenote, the smell of the torrefied spruce is incredible... kind of a toasty, caramel woodiness with undertones of current and spice (I kid on the last part).

Buco