DjangoBooks.com

Looking for silent practice instrument at low budget.

WillieWillie HamburgNew

I am looking for a guitar that can be played with a strong attack without loudness; like the Yamaha silent guitars or the Aria sinsonidos, but at a lower price. Are the Anygig guitars https://www.anygigguitar.com/de/collections/nylon a reasonable alternative? (The steel string versions are not available at the moment, so I would buy a nylon model and use those special Thomastik steel strings). Or is there any other solution?

I asked a luthier if remodeling an old archtop would make sense: removing top and bottom, installing an extension of neck/fingerboard and so on. But in his opinion it would be rather laborious to prevent everything from collapsing.

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Sounds like what you need is an el cheapo solid body electric guitar…

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Or a cheap D hole, and stuff it with T-shirts.

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

I'm wondering if one of the cheaper Traveler models might be better as they have both headphone and guitar jack outputs. Via Reverb or E-bay.

Use your existing guitar and try @bones trick: stick ear plugs between strings at the bridge area, very effective.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

Thanks for all the hints! Unamplified e-guitar still is to loud for playing at night, traveller guitars with small bodies are even louder. As I am starting to seriously learn rest stroke technique, I have to hit the strings really "hard", that is why I thought of buying the anygig guitar:

I will try stick-earplugs-between-strings respectively similar approaches using my "real" guitar.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Check this one out Willie…good price…

https://reverb.com/ca/item/40164743-any-gig-travel-guitar

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

@Lango-Django Thank you, but this price is not really good:

Anygig Travel Guitar Electric AGE SE Black – Anygigguitar

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

traveller guitars with small bodies are even louder

I was thinking of the Traveler brand as they do something similar to the Anygig rather than travel guitars in general.

But probably still more than you want to pay.

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

The Hofner Shorty is another option that is about USD 150

Snap dragon guitars in the UK make a cheap version of the Yamaha silent and it’s free shipping.

BillDaCostaWilliamsWillie