DjangoBooks.com

Hello again! And a non-gear related question about recording ...

swing68swing68 Poznan, Poland✭✭✭ Manouche Modele Orchestre, JWC Catania Swing
edited July 2021 in Welcome Posts: 121

Hi All

I hope you're all safe, well, and getting the chance to go out and gig some, wherever you are!

I've got a question about recording, which isn't 100% a technique or gear issue, so here (rather than there, in that thread) goes:

My kids (11, 9) and some of their mates have been playing their respective instruments individually for a year and together as a band for about 4 months: recently, they performed their first small gig. We've been playing mostly late period Django, as note-for-note as our ears and fingers permit.

We're very aware we're at the very start of our musical journey. However, the speed at which things are progressing is way beyond my expectations, and sooner rather than later (1 year? 2?) I can see them wanting to record.

I know Django isn't public domain yet, so approaching the rights holder for permission, etc., etc., is a given. My questions are: who is the rights holder (in the EU, if that makes any difference) and what sort of prices are usual for a license for a pretty faithful cover version?

Any help from seasoned pros who've already put stuff out very gratefully received.

Thanks everyone!

PS no, I can't help myself: here are the Bromberger kids with their versions of 'Fleche D'Or' and 'Impromptu':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEVIw87KiT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXMtZOTxH3M

THE BROMBERGERS are:

Baro Bromberger (11) - guitar

Bogi Bromberger (11) - trumpet

Bruno 'Bulldog' Bromberger (9) - drums

Zofi Bromberger (17) - piano

The war on Am7 and Cmaj7 begins here ...
rudolfochristWillieBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesPetrovBones

Comments

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

I don’t know about Poland, but in UK we have the “Musicians Union” who offer a lot of help and advice re. recording rights & copyright, etc. There are also companies on the web that offer to handle all the technical issues , rights and permissions required to get your recordings on iTunes, amazon, spotify etc, for a flat fee and/or a percentage.

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021 Posts: 871

This is actually pretty easy...

There is a company online called "Easy Song licensing"...also used is Harry Fox though they are a bit more expensive. song usage is actually pretty cheap....50 bucks maybe less per song going through "Easy Song licensing".

You can do everything through their sites. Find the song, fill out online form, put in cart, wait for clearance...done...:)

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsBonesbillyshakesrichter4208
  • swing68swing68 Poznan, Poland✭✭✭ Manouche Modele Orchestre, JWC Catania Swing

Gentlemen and scholars. Thank you both!

The war on Am7 and Cmaj7 begins here ...
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Seconding what Scoredog said above. Loads of places online to do this.

Also - very nice playing, and energy.

B.

swing68