DjangoBooks.com

"Bluesette" question

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited July 2021 in Repertoire Posts: 1,855

Duh!

I have only just found out that "Bluesette" has three parts... !

I only knew about the "A" part, so that's all I've been playing for the head.

But as the attached sheet music will show, there are also "B" and "C" parts... and their melodies use the exact same chords as the "A" part!

(Weird! I've never encountered this before!)

Anyway.... my questions are...

1) Assuming that this number is in your repertoire, do you play all three parts before you start improvising...?

2) If you play this tune with another guitarist or violin/clarinet/sax whatever... have you ever tried having two or three melody instruments playing two or three of the parts as counterpoint to each other?

3) What advice would you give as the best arrangement for this tune to match up Toots Thielman's composed melody with your own improvisation?

Thanks!

Will

PS I'm anxious to hear from everybody, but especially from a certain Mr. V-Dub, who I suspect has an awesome version....why? Because that is just the kind of thing that he might do...

PPS I've checked out a whole bunch of versions on YouTube and this one is my favourite so far, even though it's not in Bb...

After "One Note Samba", "Bluesette" begins at 2:30... how f'n awesome is Toots Theilman?

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
MondoslugWillieBucobillyshakes

Comments

It's not in my repertoire. But I would probably not play all three parts before soloing, unless there was a vocalist. You could solo between each section.

• MondoslugMondoslug New

That is awesome & the Star Trek hair is a bonus.

vanmalmsteen
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

I used to play it as a round -- the second voice starts in three beats after the first voice (which was played, of all people, by David Laflamme). You only have to change a couple of notes for it to work.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Sounds cool... David LaFlamme... sorry, I don't know who he is...?

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Oh, sorry -- a "summer of love" era rock violinist, who wrote "and performed the hit, "White Bird." He used to travel hundreds of miles to see Stephane Grappelli. Got pretty good in gypsy jazz.

• BonesBones Moderator

Mondo, yeah cool hairdo very B-52s-ish, so classic.

Lango- that vid is effing epic on so many levels.

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Lango- that vid is effing epic on so many levels.

Filmed in Denmark it seems and as a bonus features Ben Webster listening behind (4.55).

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

He was the singer & violinist for the 60's psychedelic rock band "It's A Beautiful Day" from California. Thanks pdg, another rock/gypsy jazz connection I didnt know about.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Toots is awesome! I love how he whistles along with his guitar lines here.

• Carlo GentenaarCarlo Gentenaar The Netherlands✭✭ John Le Voi

@Lango-Django Here's Toots playing Bluesette with Ellis Regina answering your question by going straight into the solo after the A part. Sorry for bumping an old thread but believe me you don't wanna miss this!

WillieStringswingerbillyshakesLango-Django