DjangoBooks.com

"Bluesette" question

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited July 3 in Repertoire Posts: 1,711

Duh!

I have only just found out that "Bluesette" has three parts... !

I only knew about the "A" part, so that's all I've been playing for the head.

But as the attached sheet music will show, there are also "B" and "C" parts... and their melodies use the exact same chords as the "A" part!

(Weird! I've never encountered this before!)

Anyway.... my questions are...

1) Assuming that this number is in your repertoire, do you play all three parts before you start improvising...?

2) If you play this tune with another guitarist or violin/clarinet/sax whatever... have you ever tried having two or three melody instruments playing two or three of the parts as counterpoint to each other?

3) What advice would you give as the best arrangement for this tune to match up Toots Thielman's composed melody with your own improvisation?

Thanks!

Will

PS I'm anxious to hear from everybody, but especially from a certain Mr. V-Dub, who I suspect has an awesome version....why? Because that is just the kind of thing that he might do...

PPS I've checked out a whole bunch of versions on YouTube and this one is my favourite so far, even though it's not in Bb...

After "One Note Samba", "Bluesette" begins at 2:30... how f'n awesome is Toots Theilman?

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
MondoslugWillieBucobillyshakes

Comments