DjangoBooks.com

A new Django story (for me)

bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
in History Posts: 513

This is a transcript from a recent interview with Jackson Browne by Marc Maron on his “WTF” podcast. My mouth dropped during this part of the interview:

WTF with Jackson Browne

“Our parents were living in Germany when they had us three kids …. My father worked for the army newspaper …. It was after the war, and they were actually having a really grand time. We lived in a house that was sort of billeted by the army, in this place shared with several other families, with this massive staircase - I think it is been the mansion of some industrialist - and the house was requisitioned or given to these three different families to live in, and they called it “Chateau Mol” - I don’t know where the name came from - but I’ve got a souvenir from a party where my father is playing piano with Django Reinhardt. Django is playing guitar and my father is playing piano Behind him, and I think he told my mother “get the camera” , because he could find Django Reinhardt, which was not always that easy, and hire him to play these parties.”

AndyWBucoWillieTwangrudolfochristadrianbillyshakesBonesBillDaCostaWilliamsMarkAand 2 others.

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity

There is a published photograph of Jack Brown, Jackson’s father, playing piano with Django for American servicemen at an impromptu concert in Pfungstadt. Perhaps the same one?

Buco
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    edited June 2021 Posts: 513

Teddy - It may be. Can you direct me to the photo?

I’ve checked and it appears in a 1947 issue of “The Stars & Stripes” and Django is playing to the Stars &Stripes staff at Chateau Meaux so I think it is the photo Jackson was referring to.

Buco
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

On the same occasion, Django apparently jammed all night with an American group called The Nether Hess Dixieland Five (Twelve O’clock Terrors). Django was known for refusing to take a paid gig because he “didn’t feel like it” and then jamming somewhere for free all night.

BillDaCostaWilliamsbopsterrudolfochristBuco
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I like how even in 1947, they were using the term "djammin'"

BillDaCostaWilliamsbopsterrudolfochristBucoBones

And we learned how Odom nearly escaped a grim fate but set a record instead.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

@Buco - sounds like the drop in altitude did the trick. Unless his radio clicked on with “Rhythm Futur” and Django saved the day. Then he really Odom.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams

Could've turned into Odom Leaves.

bopsterbillyshakeswimBillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Odum jokes are dum...

bopsterBillDaCostaWilliams
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."