DjangoBooks.com

Bose S1, JBL EON ONE PRO, LR Baggs Synapse?

ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 872

Anyone have any experience using any of these for just a Gypsy Jazz guitar setup?

I had a chance to play with the Synapse in my room, but that is not a real world gig experience. It sounded a lot more full than my AER or Hendrickson but that can be expected comparing to a small enclosure. The Synapse comes in at close to 50 pds and probably needs a stand. If I can get something lighter that has a full sound I'd prefer it.

Thoughts?

rudolfochrist

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Fifty pounds... yowser... I’d talk to my chiropractor before I bought that one...

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

I have ordered the Bose S1 , big discount on Ebay and full 30 day return including shipping policy, I'll let you guys know how it turns out in about a week.

I didn't have time to comment earlier...the only one I have experience with is the Bose (L1 model) which our band in Chicago used. It sounds great, great coverage, plenty of power. We played corporate events with up to couple of hundred people, 50 people wedding, wedding outdoor reception etc...the only time we were underpowered is this pretty big indoor event with two levels and over 200 hundred people and the organizer told us we were almost inaudible at the far end of the room (this crowd was also loud). So, all good except:

it needed an outboard mixer (only two inputs), didn't have a Bluetooth built-in (I think they do now), but what bugged me about it is because of it's long throw speaker array, if the speaker was a few feet behind the band, you couldn't hear (remarkable to me) almost any sound coming from it so we didn't get a benefit of hearing fully mixed band sound. And sometimes we had to place it in front of the band because with it against the wall, the bass was being coupled with the wall and would sound incredibly boomy. Aside from those two, it's an impressively great piece of gear.

This long throw speakers deal is why LR Baggs sounds great on paper because it appears like it gives you both, close and far coverage. That and I like the idea of them making a PA as a company that specializes in acoustic instrument sound reproduction vs the other two that specialize in speakers and sound reinforcement in general.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    edited May 2021 Posts: 872

Well I am not thinking of it as a PA but as an amp for a setup with a Tone Dexter or internal miked guitar.

I like the AER Compact 60 and Hendrikesn but the cab sounds a bit boxy due to small size.

• edited May 2021 Posts: 4,737

Ah, I see. Then definitely should've looked at Hughes and Kettner Era 2 also. 400W at 30lbs. But can't go wrong with Bose either.

just so you know the Bose came in at 475 shipped. That is inexpensive compared to a lot of options. Not saying yet anyone should get one, I have not tried it or heard it.

Buco

So got the S1 and it certainly more full sounding than my Aer and Hendricksen. It sounds clinical though so I would not choose it over either amp but as an extension to either amp you get the basic amp sound and the more fullness of having the S1. It still works fine as an amp and at 15 Pds it is pretty cool and if you look you can find one at under 500 shipped.

rudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesBuconomadgtr

Clinical? Like, nothing to sneeze at?

too precise in reproduction, both amps color the sound in a good way, the S1 does not appear to color but it does fill out the sound.

That was my guess. They probably work great with electric guitar and amp modelers. Still, sounds like an incredibly good value.