DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Club in SF Bay Area

13»

Comments

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

@eastwood - yup, there's still a few of us around! Though I don't think anyone is doing in-person events yet... hopefully soon.

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

I'm just saying hi & welcome to Michael, since you're another clarinet player here on the forum,

there's not too many of us ;-) -Andy-

BucobillyshakesLeftyKevan
  • everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 Posts: 154

@eastwood A few of us play Sunday's at Rite Spot (outdoors). A mix of Django, swing, etc. I'm sitting in on accordion/guitar with Megaflame this Sunday the 18th — a mix of cabaret, tom waits, django, billie, etc. I'll also be there April 25 and May 2 playing very casual, loose sets mainly django style.

I'm always down to jam... fully vaxxed and ready to rock!

• eastwoodeastwood New

Andy - great to meet you! It's true, there don't seem to be a ton of clarinet players in this world. Do you have any recommendations for good resources? I've found a few good web sites (like https://djangonewquintettclarinet.wordpress.com/) and transcriptions of Rostaing, but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there specifically for clarinet. Nothing like what I've found for the violin.

Christopher and Andy - I'll reach out individually. Great to meet some more folks in the bay area!

Michael

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Michael,

I do believe that site link you referenced is run by our very own @PapsPier here on the board. Its a great resource, especially if you can read French.

You can always look at what Giacomo Smith does. He has instructed at Django in June and is a killer player. He's got 2 courses over a DC Music School. There are a few examples on youtube you can find.

https://www.dc-musicschool.com/store/?instrument=18

You can also out the series of 3 vids that Evan Christopher did with Yaakov Hoter. They talk about feel, colors, phrases etc. Each is about 15 mins long. Here's a link to the first one.

We need more clarinet players around! You could also just listen to Koen de Cauter, who is a fantastic clarinetist. Also there is a nice album by Lollo Meier that features Andre Donni on clarinet. I understand those aren't learning reasources, but they may give you ideas for phrases if you weren't already aware of them.

-Bill (not a clarinet player, but lover of the sound of the licorice stick!)

rudolfochristBuco
  • eastwoodeastwood New

Bill,

Giacomo Smith is fantastic! I found him and then Kansas Smitty's (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxCy6D_qKAEFunK0YEMG2Lg) during the pandemic and the shows they've been broadcasting are great.

I've seen some of Evan Christopher's other stuff on YouTube but haven't seen the series with Yaakov Hoter - I will definitely check it out and also take a listen to Koen de Cauter and Andre Donni.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Michael

billyshakes