DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

guitarshark Mandolen stevendeutsch

Gypsy Jazz Club in SF Bay Area

13»

Comments

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

@eastwood - yup, there's still a few of us around! Though I don't think anyone is doing in-person events yet... hopefully soon.

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Musicalia, Bucolo et. al.

I'm just saying hi & welcome to Michael, since you're another clarinet player here on the forum,

there's not too many of us ;-) -Andy-

BucobillyshakesLeftyKevan
  • everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭
    edited April 16 Posts: 124

@eastwood A few of us play Sunday's at Rite Spot (outdoors). A mix of Django, swing, etc. I'm sitting in on accordion/guitar with Megaflame this Sunday the 18th — a mix of cabaret, tom waits, django, billie, etc. I'll also be there April 25 and May 2 playing very casual, loose sets mainly django style.

I'm always down to jam... fully vaxxed and ready to rock!

• eastwoodeastwood New

Andy - great to meet you! It's true, there don't seem to be a ton of clarinet players in this world. Do you have any recommendations for good resources? I've found a few good web sites (like https://djangonewquintettclarinet.wordpress.com/) and transcriptions of Rostaing, but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there specifically for clarinet. Nothing like what I've found for the violin.

Christopher and Andy - I'll reach out individually. Great to meet some more folks in the bay area!

Michael

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Altamira M10

Michael,

I do believe that site link you referenced is run by our very own @PapsPier here on the board. Its a great resource, especially if you can read French.

You can always look at what Giacomo Smith does. He has instructed at Django in June and is a killer player. He's got 2 courses over a DC Music School. There are a few examples on youtube you can find.

https://www.dc-musicschool.com/store/?instrument=18

You can also out the series of 3 vids that Evan Christopher did with Yaakov Hoter. They talk about feel, colors, phrases etc. Each is about 15 mins long. Here's a link to the first one.

We need more clarinet players around! You could also just listen to Koen de Cauter, who is a fantastic clarinetist. Also there is a nice album by Lollo Meier that features Andre Donni on clarinet. I understand those aren't learning reasources, but they may give you ideas for phrases if you weren't already aware of them.

-Bill (not a clarinet player, but lover of the sound of the licorice stick!)

rudolfochristBuco
  • eastwoodeastwood New

Bill,

Giacomo Smith is fantastic! I found him and then Kansas Smitty's (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxCy6D_qKAEFunK0YEMG2Lg) during the pandemic and the shows they've been broadcasting are great.

I've seen some of Evan Christopher's other stuff on YouTube but haven't seen the series with Yaakov Hoter - I will definitely check it out and also take a listen to Koen de Cauter and Andre Donni.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Michael

billyshakes