DjangoBooks.com

Homemade amp...why not? (contains cheating)

124»

Comments

• TomasTomas CzechNew Oval By luthier Jakub Hřib, Gitane birdseye maple "prototype model", Ibanez ag95qa

@scot Nice one! I think I saw that model just recently. Driver was a lady with old school helmet and glasses.

Anyway I had a little bit problem with tube rattle. I fixed that by screw between tube and chassis. But that's not "clean solution". Would new tube help? And with brand of power tube is the best?

Today I made just small feature. Cover to transformer. Is that safe? It's open from both sides.

There are "tube dampers" that can help somewhat with mechanic rattle. Like this one

Or the the tube/s could be bad. Can you try a different guitar cabinet? So you can rule out if it's something going on with your cabinet or it's the tube/s and amp itself. Next thing you can do is turn on the amp and use a pencil, the side with eraser to lightly tap on the tube and see if one in particular makes a bad rattle. If you find one, replace it.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • TomasTomas CzechNew Oval By luthier Jakub Hřib, Gitane birdseye maple "prototype model", Ibanez ag95qa
    edited April 2021 Posts: 38

@Buco I'm pretty sure that it's power tube or it's socket. When I hold it down rattle stops. Screw between chassis and tube helps. It's net ideal but it works. I will mabye try buy a new tube. Can I just swap that or is there necessary set up amp for it? Thanks for help!

• edited April 2021 Posts: 4,735

If it's preamp tube, you can just replace it. If power tube, the amp should be biased with the new tube. Or maybe your amp is self-biasing design. Can you ask the people you bought the amp from?

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel