DjangoBooks.com

Homemade amp...why not? (contains cheating)

Comments

Man, you're not wasting any time! Didn't expect it be a matter of a few days.

For the tone, I think the easiest way to brighten the sound is to use an EQ pedal.

The tone of the amp depends on so many variables, starting with the design then quality of components used and like you said, the speaker and even the wire.

What design is your amp based on? Sometimes people sell kits to modify the existing amp and improve the tone. For example this mod kit for Blues Jr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fromel-Complete-Mod-Kit-for-Fender-Blues-Jr-Junior-V1-Made-in-USA/184674738091

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • TomasTomas CzechNew Oval By luthier Jakub Hřib, Gitane birdseye maple "prototype model", Ibanez ag95qa

@Buco Yes! I just couldn't wait... But I have to wait for holder from abroad. Ach :D I'm not quite sure what you mean by "based on", because I really don't know what is happening inside. All I know is that it should sound like vox ac30. But I never heard that before...actually I never noticed how tube amp sound, because I had been playing just bass until two years ago and hadn't been interested on guitars much. ...but I always love Django music and wanted to play it. So now I just still discover this world of guitar gears.

Anyway... I tried my amp outside just now and it sounds much better. Sound make more sense and it sounds really old. I feel little bit better now. :D tomorrow I will try eq too. I have just very cheap eq. (Artec) Is it big difference against expensive ones in sound? Maybe I will try mojomojo preamp too...there is also bass and trouble eq.

For fun I share a photo of my label that will be inside of the amp. Patina made by coffee. And to understanding... City of lost heaven is fictional city from Czech game I played when I was little called Mafia. It was similar to GTA but with much more atmosphere and music in radio when you drive old slow car was by Django. It was first time I've ever heard him...I love it. Everybody love it, but most people here in Czech know this music just like a music from this game...that's a pitty. And I'm Tom so Tommy Amp sounds little bit like Tommy gun, and Hoboken is part of the city. I don't like games much, but that game was something. My friend made it with few other people.

BillDaCostaWilliamsBucobillyshakesrudolfochrist

Oh I got it now...sorry, I completely missed when you said in your first post that you already got the amp. I thought you were going to be hand building one from a kit.

It could be simply what you're hearing is the typical warm sound from a tube amp. I can see now that the amp you have doesn't have tone control. So then use the EQ pedal that you have and it'll do just fine, don't have to get anything special.

It looks great, you did fantastic job!

It's funny how many people got to know Django through music in Mafia game, I heard of that before.

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

@billyshakes - each time I saw Pat Martino, 2003-2004, he would show up in town with his guitar, an Acoustic Image head, and the club would furnish a cabinet for him. Maybe a 2 x 12?

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams
  • TomasTomas CzechNew Oval By luthier Jakub Hřib, Gitane birdseye maple "prototype model", Ibanez ag95qa

Working process continuing! All day sanding of...yes you see wright...spirit level. Not easy job, but result is better than I expected. And inside cable holder. If you are asking what's doing this tube-ish object things on the right.. just looking good.. that's what they're doing! Ha! Just vintage bulb sockets... So nearly finished.

rudolfochristBucoLango-Django
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

Lovely.

• scotscot Virtuoso

Like Buco, I also missed that you were using a premade amp - I had never heard of Mooer before. Hopefully my long-winded posts about tubes are useful to someone. The amp looks great and I'll bet it sounds good too.

@scot I said in a title that there is cheating happening. :D But it was interesting anyway...little bit more cleaver now. Anyway why the logo of Čezeta (ČZ)? Do you have Czechoslovakian scooter?

Yeah I kept wondering where's the cheating part?

It's actually pretty clever. And looks great!

• scotscot Virtuoso

In 1972, I owned a 1970 250 CZ motocross bike, which was the best motocross bike made at the time. It's something I wish I had never sold - they are not especially expensive today but I can't justify buying one. I always liked that logo, too...

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams