DjangoBooks.com

Homemade amp...why not? (contains cheating)

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

When I started playing this style more exclusively, I got rid of my old Marshall head & 4x12. It was great for rock, metal, blues, etc....just not so much jazz. Probably everything but. I would think the H&K is in the same class, but maybe you can get a Stimer and go for that really wet, overdriven Django electric sound? Just be sure to add your mullet wig to your pencil thin moustache to round out the look!

• nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault

Yeah I hear ya Buco, there are always trade-offs. I've had good luck with my Supro but I have had the good fortune to have a PA available for most gigs so I can go with the Carlos CS Sensor and not worry about it. But I do some duet stuff occasionally with no PA and I need the amp. I love big iron for rock-n-roll though. Nothing like the feeling of air moving off of a 4x12!

I've tried various attenuators, right now I'm settled on a Torpedo Reload from Two Notes, a French company. You can get them from Sweetwater. It also has output to send DI to a DAW for IR speaker emulation. They have a plugin where you can choose from a huge list of IR modeled speakers and cabs. They sound great too!

Buco
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 4,739

Bill, H&K amps are known for a very clean tone. They usually design their amps with more than one channel and one is usually reserved for clean (which gets overdriven at higher volume) and one or more that break up at varying degrees. The 20W combo has two channels, the 100W head three.

@nomadgtr thanks for mentioning, I saw it just a few days ago. Then if I buy one that'll be it. The reason I'm hesitant to buy one is I need to open the cabinet to rewire the speaker so I can insert the attenuator between the output and the speaker at which point I'm thinking why not retrofit the whole thing inside the cabinet. Not sure how much cooling is the issue though and so on...

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • scotscot Virtuoso

Re 12Aa7 tubes, it's not quite that simple. With the 12AX7's higher gain (increase in output for a given input) comes higher current demand (sometimes desirable for driving effects), earlier distortion, it needs a beefier transformer, and has limited headroom. Even the best designer has to deal with Ohm's law. The 12AT7 has 40% less gain but also a cleaner output at it's maximum and more headroom. People often swap these tubes depending on their needs, but doing stuff like that can have a price. And so much of preamp design depends on the class of the output stage. Amp design, like guitar design, is often a series of compromises to fulfill many different needs. It's why people love Twins and Princetons so much - they're so good for so many things. BTW, a tube Champ is also a class A amp, and they do sound great.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsTomasrudolfochrist
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Pat Martino would beg to differ - loudest Jazz organ trio I've ever been to.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

@ChristopheCarington You might be right about Pat. Was fortunate to see him in ~2002 playing with Joey D. but don't remember looking at what Pat's amp setup was. I'll correct myself and say that I was not a good enough player to get the tone/sound I was searching for from the Marshall setup. Then again, I've never been a gear guy.

ChristopheCarington
  • TomasTomas CzechNew Oval By luthier Jakub Hřib, Gitane birdseye maple "prototype model", Ibanez ag95qa

Thanks you all for help me understand this. It was exactly what I wanted. I don't need too much power for my events. 5w seems to be ideal. I finally tried first go with my new amp! It's just unfinished beta version without lots of details. Just wanted to know how the sound sounds like. And results? Way much more power than I expected abd better. I'm not sure if overdrive is that bad for me. I like dirty old sound and it's sound like this. Just two issues. Sound seems to be mabye too dark for my liking. Probably because of choosen speaker? They said neodymium without metal highs. But little bit more open sound would be nice. But I tried it inside of small room with lot's of textiles around. So acoustic wasn't ideal. Today I will try it outside. Or can speaker cable make a difference or mabye I tried it too low volume or china tubes? But don't get me wrong. The sound is much better than I expected. And second issue is that power tube rumble...make sound by vibrations. When I hold it it's stopped. So maybe some spring holder or bad tube?

@Lango-Django It's look amazing man and interesting story! Many thanks for your offer. But I still have this textile grill in my head. Amp looks like my old hifi speakers I had in my childhood. So little bit nostalgia too.

And some photos of my unfinished beta version amp:

rudolfochristBucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • TomasTomas CzechNew Oval By luthier Jakub Hřib, Gitane birdseye maple "prototype model", Ibanez ag95qa

Anyway I found this: http://www.emmasenft.com/amps

And the design looks so simple and really amazing too.

And best sound from magnetic pickup in GJ I like is Rosenberg with peche ala mouche amp:

wim
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Tomas, which one will yours look like, the one with the cane grille, or the labyrinthe look?

I hope it’s the labyrinthe because I really like that one...?

Good luck!

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

@Lango-Django The labyrinthe looks awesome. But it makes sense just with a cube i think. And my looks exactly like previous photos...because it is it. :D I posted the site just because it's look so nice and it's inspirating. I'm really satisfied with the look of mine. It could be much worse. :D Now I have to do just a few small details. Like cover to knobs, holder, few screws and so on...

Buco