DjangoBooks.com

Can I use these strings on my GJ guitar

Hi,

I am a new-comer to the GJ world. I recently bought a Harmsworth and Willis D-Hole GJ guitar.

Can I use these strings on it? (La Bella silverplated steel)

I would like to experiment with the light top strings. After extensive research I believe these are the only silver plated steel strings available from any manufacturer with 9's. However, I wonder if the discrepancy between the heavy bottom strings and light top could cause damage to the guitar?

Also, can I remove all the strings at once during restring? The fretboard is extremely dirty and the cleaning would be way more convenient if I need not leave some strings on. However, I saw some advice claiming that you should leave some strings on a GJ guitar during restrings to avoid possible neck damage.

Would appreciate any comments / advice :P

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited December 2020 Posts: 1,854

I don't see any problem using those strings, but if there is one, I think you’ll quickly be aware of it...

... plus I think the reason for not changing all six strings at once is more based upon the fact that you will need to carefully reseat your guitar’s movable bridge...

Will

bbwood_98
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Yeah you could use them but my concern would be a lack of volume due to the low tension on the first and second strings. I always remove all my strings when I'm restringing - it makes it easier to clean and oil the fingerboard. The bridge isn't fixed so you just need to make sure you replace it where it was. You could mark the back edge of the two feet with a tiny bit of masking tape or you can place it and move it as needed by checking each string at the 12th fret by picking a harmonic and then with a fretted note. If the fretted note is flat then you move the bridge forward. If it's sharp then you move it back.

As for having to leave some strings on a GJ guitar during a restring to avoid neck damage, frankly that sounds like utter nonsense to me.

I've had two Harmsworth and Willis guitars and they were great, brilliant value for money - it's a shame they stopped making them.

bbwood_98
    always learning
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Should not be a problem either way - you may notice less volume on the top strings, but It's not a tension issue typically (most guitars can support a wide range of tensions - Titi Bamberger for years strung a guitar with 14 flats . . That was perhaps too much . . )

Good luck.

djangology
  • stuologystuology New
    edited December 2020 Posts: 196

I know one top player who puts Ernie Ball electrics on his guitars, so anything is possible - but if you are new to the genre and you’ve gone as far as committing to buying a Selmer style guitar, I would definitely start with Argentines, you won’t get the sound you’re chasing otherwise.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Yeah, the right strings are definitely a big part of the sound... Argentines are best but D’Addarios are fine...

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • tapinhotapinho New

Thanks for the replies!

Right now the guitar has a few weeks old D'addario GJ strings on it. I will restring (with thorough cleaning, removing all strings :D) with the La Bellas soon and check out how it feels and sounds. I have a few Argentine 10's stashed up so if it sounds out of phase with GJ style I'll just throw a set of those in.

• jerojero Michiana✭✭✭✭ J.P. Favino, Godefroy Maruejouls

I really like those strings in the higher gauges on a flattop.

• tapinhotapinho New
    edited December 2020 Posts: 6

UPDATE:

I tried the LaBellas and they sounded good and authentic for GJ. However, after an hours playing or so a resonating buzz started to be generated at the bridge. I assume that it could be fixed by twiddling with the bridge but since I did not have any idea how to do it I just slapped Argentines on the guitar.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Does the guitar still produce the buzz with the Argentines ? Buzzes can be hard to track down. When you say generated at the bridge what are you basing that on ?

always learning
  • tapinhotapinho New
    edited December 2020 Posts: 6

It was very clear from the outset that it is at the bridge / tailpeace or whatever it is called because when I would hold it with my hand, there would be no buzz. When I put the Argentines on it, the buzz dropped about 80%. I was able to eliminate it totally by putting a folded papersheet under the thing.