DjangoBooks.com

Can I use these strings on my GJ guitar

2»

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Sorry to be a pain but when you say when you held it the buzz stopped, do you mean the tailpiece ? If so it could be that the wooden insert is loose. I take it when you say you put a a folded paper sheet under the thing you mean the tailpiece.

always learning
  • tapinhotapinho New

Yeah I mean the thing where the strings are attached, which I guess is the tail-piece :D I'm used to fixed bridge electrics so Im getting the terms mixed up a bit.

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

No problem. The bridges are unlikely to produce a buzz but I've had buzzes in the past which I thought were due to things like loose braces internally, loose machine heads before finally working out that wooden insert was loose. A small bit of glue sorted that out. Another thing I always do is to line the tailpiece with Chamois leather over the rear surface. I dislike the small pieces of vinyl which are normally fitted to these guitars. I don't like the colours they use - usually red, green or black - and covering the back of the whole tailpiece also reduces any wetness or ringing to a small extent.

Hope you're enjoying your Harmsworth and Willis. I don't know if you're aware of their history but I bought each of my two H&W's from the guys themselves, Mike Harmsworth and Nev Willis. I asked about the origins of the guitars and this is what I was told by Mike Harmsworth. Mike had family in the Phillipines and that's where the guitars were made, by hand by the family. He and Nev Willis then imported them into the UK in small batches for a few years before they stopped production and closed the operation. I know there was a bit of discussion on this forum about the origins of these guitars with some people suggesting that they were made in a Chinese factory. Not that there's anything wrong with Chinese made guitars but with H&W guitars what you are getting is a good quality, nearly completely hand built guitar. I wish I still had the two that I owned.

Buco
    always learning
  • tapinhotapinho New
    edited December 2020 Posts: 6

Yeah I like it quite much! The playability is good, almost on par actually with some way pricier guitars I've tried. It is extremely light and they sound is a little "boomy" to my ear but for the price it seems like a great guitar. Certainly something I can work with for a long time and should I purchase a proper concert guitar at some time, this will very likely stay as a backup / pracc guitar