DjangoBooks.com

LH tendonitis, thumb/hand joint. Remedies?

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator

Good news Paul!!

Passacaglia
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso

Glad you're getting better! There's a book called "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief" by Clair Davies and it saved me from having surgery to my right elbow a few years ago... Might be worthwhile for you to check it out. Best of luck to you and a speedy recovery

Passacaglia
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Slow and steady wins the race, Paul! You'll get right back to where you want to be in time. Glad you are healing and that you have a healthy approach!

Passacaglia

By the way you can still make progress with your playing in 10 minutes. Just need to think micro or even nano practice.

Instead of learning the whole song, woodshed a tricky chord change. These type of situations may be a time to work on things you didn't have time for before. For example, instead of pumping the fat chords using all 5 fingers including the thumb, take this time to work on simple triads, Freddy Green style and stuff that Django was so fond of in his comping. Also chords without root having a bass player in mind to cover that. Stuff like that.

If you want to learn a new melody, you can break it up in phrases and learn one phrase at the time. So if you put in 3-4 10 minute segments in a day you can actually get a lot done.

Just plan on paper what you'll work on before you pick up the instrument so once you pick it up you can get straight to juice without having to peel the fruit.

PassacagliaBonesBillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator

Yeah what Buco said, with my left hand and shoulder issues I only use 3 note chords anymore. The other thing I'm planning to do along the "micro practice" theme is pull out individual licks out of transcriptions to work on one at at time rather than whole solos.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Hey, since we are on the general aubject of aches and pains...

...doe anybody else get those little BB-sized cysts underneath the skin of your fingers...?

I’ve got one right now right behind the knuckle of my thumb, and when I play a certain chord or run...

... YOW!

Passacaglia
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

That is very strange! I'd think that warrants at least a triage call to your Dr's office, then hopefully can get in to take a look. I'm so sorry. I hope you get it straightened out.

-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

Life is....life. It comes as it may. I act out many dreams, always the "defender," and quite often I am employing the most awesome of my martial arts repertoire to subdue whatever bad guy or guys are chasing me, preventing me from getting to my family to protect them, poised to hurt my son (good luck. My little dude is now a rugby bruiser strong as an ox). Problem is, I often throw myself right out of bed, with the bad guys. 5X over last couple months, hurt couple times on my way down. And otherwise it's dangerous for my wife so we have had to change up our sleep routine (I sleep on a futon on the floor....which I love anyway. Living in a zen and martial arts temple will do that to a dude).

I have been diagnosed with RBD, confirmed by an overnight sleep study. That also means I am almost certain to develop Parkinson's over the next 5-10 years, which as of yet is incurable. Not what I would have hoped for myself and my family, it is what it is and I accept it.

-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Damn... sorry Paul

Passacaglia
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator

Dang it Paul. Well hope for the best!

I think the comedian Mike Birbiglia has the same issue?

Passacaglia