DjangoBooks.com

LH tendonitis, thumb/hand joint. Remedies?

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

Hey Bones -

Thanks. I'm just really happy, weirdly, to know it is what it is and like you, it's about pain management and nothing else, really. I'm just pretty surprised, to be honest - the central pain is due to a cervical spine injury, the brainstem is damaged on a very micro-level, and it's not very common, so I'm not surprised it took awhile. But arthritis? When the sports doc showed me and the radiologist wrote it out as plain as day, I grumbled. Not really a fan of our existing primary (the ones who missed it). I pay extra to keep care when I can with the provider I've had a long time, but sometimes have to jump through hoops to justify it. I know we all deal with it.

Weed - I'm useless, lol. I grew up in S. California and let's just say I'm not exactly a noob, lol, but man, when I was growing up, we're talking, what, 5% THC, and know it's over 20%? Holy Sh!t I get baked easily, and I'm pretty much enjoying all the pretty colors on our cream walls for good few hours, lol. Probably remnants of too much LSD when younger....🤩

I'm sorry you deal with it too, man. Let us knobby-clawed dudes hang together, and keep the bpm old-school like!

-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • BonesBones Moderator

Haha yeah that's what I mean. This stuff now is WAAAY too strong. Just one tiny little puff and don't even really hold it in. Still high as a kite. No pain but all you can do is sit on the couch and watch videos and eat. The first time I tried it I was instantly high and I'm thinking "great now I'm high and still in pain". I started watching a vid because I couldn't do anything else and after a while i felt really hungry (munchies) and then I realized that the pain was gone. True story. Tried CBD without the THC but doesn't work for me. I think it needs the THC which is a bummer. Talk about side effects!

Passacaglia

Ditto my bro. Tried CBD, nada. Works well for pain, the whole shebang, but mom and son know dad will laugh at changing channels, and Murph the mutt will just lick me to make sure I've not kicked it. :)

-Paul

• Carlo GentenaarCarlo Gentenaar The Netherlands✭✭ John Le Voi

I haven't read the whole thread so just in case: have you tried acupuncture?

@Bones i drink the powdered spices with water after having breakfast and in the evening, taking it with some meal. Caps are also available but pricy. I was afraid of the question how much to take since wherever i look the german expression "eine Messerspitze" occurs which means the "point of a knife full" so its vague like you would say "tad full" of every spice maybe one gram or what you would get on your 10th fret marker;-)

Well THC relaxes the muscles and the mind which is helpful fighting pain but then my concentration and the timing sucks which is not that useful playing music! Of course its funny every now and then...

Since Djangos Music is also mediterranean music mediterranean food with lots of garlic chili fish and olive oil is the way to go (minus the hedgehog)!

BucoPassacaglia
  • BonesBones Moderator

Djangoheureux, ok thanks for that. So just a pinch of each in water with a meal. As for the THC, yeah exactly the side effects are pretty bad. Great for watching a movie and munching on chips but not much else. That's why I rarely use it. Mostly if I lay off my wrists/thumbs I am pain free basically. It's only if I over use it or fall and land on my wrist or something like that. I do get sharp stabbing pains just through normal usage but that goes away quickly. Mostly just stiff and dull soreness which I can tolerate without meds as long as I don't over do it with something or do something stupid. Shoulders going out too from like 50 years of surfing and working on houses/boats/etc. Interestingly, the shoulders also come into play with guitar playing which I would not have really guessed. Same with them though as the wrists, just don't over do it, stretches, exercises, etc. I can't complain, everything still works as long as I take care of things. I've been living with the shoulders since it started for like 20 years or so just by PT. Don't want to get the surgery since there is a risk it could make it worse.

PassacagliaDjangheureux

Seriously though, I've had tendonitis in my thumb muscles between the thumb and the wrist. Acupuncture cured it in a couple of sessions! No change after the first one so don't give up too soon!

Carlo, I've had acupuncture for many things and I find it useful. Speaking only personally, this isn't tendonitis, it's arthritis, which as I said is weirdly fantastic news to me anyway. With a lot of stuff going on, including a pretty strong likelihood of Parkinson's, I'll take the arthritis! Knowing there's nothing to be done and playing is probably the best way to "keep the engine oiled" is really freeing.

Thanks, though. I do appreciate your thoughts.

-Paul

Aha ok, well like I mentioned earlier I only read the title and your first post and there's no mention of arthritis there...

• pdgpdg ✭✭

I would think there must be an optimum neck profile, nut width, string length, action, neck relief, and string gauges -- and even position of holding the guitar -- to minimize your discomfort while playing.

PassacagliaDjangheureux