DjangoBooks.com

La Bella S & S Extra Lights - loop tiny v. Lights - loop normal?

Hi, just checking.

For the second time in a row, a set of La Bella XL S & S's had really tiny, circular loops that I could not get around my posts for the life of me. I started with Low E and tried to open the loop, but in the process, snapped the loop off.

I went to a set of LE's, lights, and the loops are normal and plenty of room to easily set.

Anyone else have this issue? Am I missing something?

-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
    edited June 2020 Posts: 205

I prefer ball ends for that reason.

When I get loops and that happens; I just wrap the string around the post and pass it through the loop. 🤷‍♂️

vanmalmsteenPassacaglia
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

Labella make gypsy jazz strings?

I hope you get the loop thing sorted out, let me know how you like them? They tend to make excellent jazz guitar strings

Passacaglia

@vanmalmsteen their strings are excellent. I used them for a long time when I was looking for that warmer sound. I did have the issue with the wound G, it would break at windings after a few weeks, sometimes earlier. But they sold me G strings in bulk at a good price so I didn't mind replacing them more often.

Paul, I don't remember if it happened with LaBella specifically but yes that's happened to me with sometimes smaller loop. I'd usually get a ball end from an old string as I always have a few around and thread a string through the loop and tie a basic knot at the end, put extra few twists if unwound string.

vanmalmsteen
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys. The lights were entirely different - tons of extra room (actually had to scotch tape to avoid slipping off while changing strings). Tone is wonderful, but volume is a bit disappointing. I should say, chord volume is muted, solo lines are fine. Maybe a function of the guitar being in maple? (couldn't be me, of course, lol). Nice idea Juanderer, thanks.

Buco, a bit unclear what your method is. Do you mean you take the ball from an old string, insert it in the (small) loop of your looped string, and fasten the ball in the loop? If so, can't picture how you're doing - sorry, man.

So far, in the S&S wars, the Galli V027's win for me, hands down. Absolutely love them, just wish they lasted longer. I'm dressing the frets and strings with "fast fret" more often and otherwise wiping down frequently as well, hopefully I can get more life out of them. So interesting how every guitar, every player jibes differently!

-Paul

• edited June 2020 Posts: 4,735

Do you mean you take the ball from an old string, insert it in the (small) loop of your looped string, and fasten the ball in the loop?

That sounds right. On the picture imagine the ball end isn't attached to the string, imagine I'm just using the ball end to attach the string. With wound strings this single knot is all it takes usually.

If it's slipping and especially on unwound strings I'd do this. Again imagine I'm just using the ball end. So I'd do a few more passes with a working end and maybe if it's still slipping twist the end. Of course I'd tighten the knot.

Yeah you really need to match the strings to a specific guitar.

Passacaglia
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

Wow, thanks for the explanation and photography, Buco!

-Paul