DjangoBooks.com

Looking for a replacement mic putty solution

nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭

I'm a fan of the Ischell pickup system, which in the mic and contact mic combination does a good job of giving a pure acoustic sound of one's instrument. After my gig today, I noticed that the putty took off a bit of finish ( not a heavily finished polyurethane mirror buffed instrument, but an old guitar). I decided that it was about time to replace the putty I had, which was about a year old. However, this being my first time replacing it, I was not aware that the cost of the putty was 50 euros. Ok, maybe it's some very special expensive material, or, maybe there is something much more economically friendly available for the same price. So if anyone else has looked into it and found an alternative solution, I would be very pleased to know about it. Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

@nicksansone you can use the Schertler putty which is pretty similar:

• StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

@ Michael. On the Ischell website, they claim their putty is a special material that helps defeat feedback. Is that simply "puffery"? Will the Schertler putty do as good a job? How about the Blu-tack putty that comes with a Krivo?

"When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

The schertler putty seems to be "gummier" than the blue stuff..It feels more malleable and not as stiff. I don't know how different it will sound on the ischell, but prefer it on my krivo and surdo pickups because it seems like I can get away with a thinner layer of it.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Apologies for flogging a dead horse yet again... but I am going to preach my Ischell sermon one more time...

double sided tape + inside the guitar + under the bridge + between the A and D string

= no-feedback happiness

That is all...

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭

I should have specified; I don't have nor will I be drilling a jack hole in the guitar, so I'm using it as an external system. Agreed for double sided tape if it's internally mounted.

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

Honestly I don't know....maybe some time when I have time (which is pretty much never!) I can try both types of putty and see if it makes a difference. My guess is that it doesn't matter much.

Stringswinger