DjangoBooks.com

one step closer to (pseudo) vintage sound

DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia
in Welcome Posts: 139

I think i got one step closer to simulating the sound of the old 30s/40s records by adding a good chunk of saturation overdrive in addition to an IR of an old RCA ribbon mic and some additional EQing like mentioned in threads before:

What do you think? I love playing with that signal chain into a mic with my Dupont with headphones on, makes me play and feel different.

flacoBucoRiplittlemarkAndyWdjazzyJangle_JamieBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesWillie

Comments

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

That's superb!!! Sounds spot on to me. Just need some double bass now!

DoubleWhisky
  • djazzydjazzy New Riccardo Mordeglia, AJL

Yup -- sounds real nice!

DoubleWhisky
  • JasonSJasonS New

Are you adding saturation to each track individually or the whole mix? I think this sounds great and it's very close but there's still a bit of separation between the rhythm track and the solo track, if that makes sense. A bit of saturation on the high end of the entire mix might help glue things together.

wimAndyWDoubleWhisky
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

I have no idea what the process is, but I like the result

DoubleWhisky
  • DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia

Very good observation! I applied way more saturation on the lead guitar as i liked the sound of it that way, but you are right, straight onto the master might sound even more "authentic".

A real high end shouldn't be existend though as i equed the master with heavy high and low pass haha

The eq is spot on but the progress your playing is making is remarkable. And you're getting the tone you're after so well. How the heck are you finding the time with the small kid at home?!

DoubleWhisky
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Thank you very much Buco, glad you hear some progress in my playing!

Funny enough I practice a lot more and way more systematically than when I still had more time. Mostly at night in the garden tool room when everything in the house is asleep, routine trumps exhaustion haha

Buco