DjangoBooks.com

Luthier Marcello Quinteros (Buenos Aires)?

1235»

Comments

Thing is we don't know how much "older adults" are capable of because we really don't have any examples of someone playing and practicing 10 hours a day for several years. Which is the primary reason our heroes are as good as they are.

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • murrayatuptowngallermurrayatuptowngaller Holland, MINew Quinteros 2023 Di Mauro Chorus variant, Gibson 1956 ES-135, The Loar LH350VS

Update on Quinteros DiMauro-inspired f-hole manouche guitar

The seller has lowered the pricing of the guitar to 890 USD and lists the DHL courier cost USD380 instead of a higher price with free shipping. Maybe that helps with sales/use tax or duty in some cases. I think the luthier having little visibility outside of South America leads the seller to incentives.

He has increased the details of the construction, including identifying hardware as Hosco, a Japanese company with a not-very up-to-date website. The woods no longer list country of sourcing, which may matter to some people. The walnut back & sides were called Australian walnut in a couple earlier listings.

The seller has been attending Paulus Schaefer camps as a student and I have been crossing paths with him increasingly outside of the Reverb sales website.

I had bridgework & fret end filing done by a local luthier, giving him Bob Holo festival setup specs.

A competent friend really likes the sound and playability now. My playing would be a disservice to the luthier! I may get a surrogate performance video soon 😄

Murray

• murrayatuptowngallermurrayatuptowngaller Holland, MINew Quinteros 2023 Di Mauro Chorus variant, Gibson 1956 ES-135, The Loar LH350VS

Oh yeah, I made a primitive prototype of an acoustic guitar 4-band preamp Velcro-ed to half a nylon guitar strap which hangs from the tailpiece strap button.

The Velcro adhesive-backed strip needs to be sewn to the nylon web strap due to the texture preventing adequate adhesive bonding. Removing the preamp (Velcro backing adhesive bonded aggressively to the metal housing) pulls the mating Velcro strip off the half-strap preamp hanging system.

The 1/4" attached Krivo cable is adapted with a 1/4" T-R jack to 2.5 mm plug with a shielded piece of cable but the shielding is incomplete and the Murray-rigged patch cable adapter isn't robust enough for me.

The Krivo sounds fine plugged into a couple noisy tube amps and no preamp. I haven't needed tone controls yet but a responsive solid-top guitar and having to walk to the amp is inconvenient and has a high probability of feedback. A simpler preamp might be less awkward to drag around like a ball & chain, but I have two of what I have from experiments with piezo ribbon sensors...so that's what I used.