DjangoBooks.com

Would Joscho be considered a legend?

Comments

• EmilBirkEmilBirk New Gitane DG-300

If half my potential is half as good as stochello or bireli or Joscho I think I would still be happy. But for me music is about the journey not the destination. I know if I work hard enough I think I can get to a point where I would be considered a good musician. I really like Christiaan van hemert’s video about the levels of jazz guitar and the hours, tunes learned and technical aspects of levelling up to the next part. For someone who is mathematically inclined it allows me to set goals to achieve to go to ‘the next level’. I’ve been recording my hours since and writing up notes at the end of each month in terms of things I’ve learned, what I’ve improved on and what still needs work. I’m hoping that once I’ve reached the 10,000 hour mark I could write an entry on here about my experience reaching this goal and what I would have done differently

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 72

This is a very strange thread.

In terms of playing, Joscho's renowned technique is already legendary even as I type this. Same w/Bireli, Stochelo, Jimmy, Debarre, Adrian, Gonzalo, etc. - these are all modern masters of the style, songs & technique and at this point there's way too many incredible players to list at because the talent pool for this genre at present has probably reached an all-time high, yet will only continue to grow due to the vastly superior resources we have nowadays for learning it.

That said, as far as being an actual LEGEND of music, I really like the earlier person who commented something like "there's only 1 legend - Django" and "ultimately we are all playing and interpreting his music" because that's the honest truth.

Personally, I tend to gravitate away from the more folk-inspired Manouche songs -- why? Simply because my American sensibilities will always find more pleasure in playing swing or even more "modern" era tunes such as Monk, Coltrane, Miles, etc. in large part that's what I was raised on and what I'll always hear. However, even if/when I'm not playing songs that would be considered "authentic" to the genre, I still owe all of my playing technique and inspiration to Django. And that's what makes Django the one and true forever legend because without his virtuosic musicality none of us would even be here right now having such a strange debate.

BonesJangle_JamieBillDaCostaWilliams
  • opus20000opus20000
    edited March 2023 Posts: 85

Like I wrote, having taught guitar for over 25 years, most who criticize Joscho are nowhere near his level of playing!!!! Mostly, they're bitter boomers, equivalent to "I only play with tone (only tube amps) and feel man" in rock guitar, who buy the most expensive guitars, yet haven't amounted to anything musically, and can't get past the pentatonic scale.

I've seen it year in and out these "I only play with feeling" fools, who can't play twinkle twinkle little star, yet are the worlds best "critic". Your other examples, don't compare, as it's a whole different scenario! Especially in GJ as it's somewhat an "avant-garde" genre. To your "point", you would not have someone enter a Master Chef competition, without any culinary experience (or who's cooking always makes everyone regurgitate), or enter a film festival, without knowing how to operate a camera, or have any directing skills, or have a theology debate with someone who never read the Bible etc......etc.......

Most of the time, there's a certain level of jealousy in musicians who'll never get to a certain level; but will make sure would put others down. Seen that at conservatories/music schools for years as I've been through them! You think politics of Fox News-CNN are bad, try music colleges! I've seen some on full scholarships, hailed by faculty as the next guitar god one day, become a "can't paly out of a wet paper bag" the next.

Yes, opinions are like a-holes, but in some cases you need a foundation or some basic skills in a filed to make them.

Bones
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 4,745

@EmilBirk well, what you wrote says you are still going about it the right way. The reason I said that is because when people carry that thinking, it results in settling for less. Which is totally fine if you're doing it by choice and simply don't aspire to reach the highest level of playing you possibly can. Oftentimes though, it acts as a weight that people don't even approach let alone try to lift therefore not coming nowhere close to reaching or exceeding their personal potential. In my own experience once I said to hell with it, I'm going for it all the way and removed that from my own thinking I decided to learn and practice some licks and phrases that sounded impossible before. It took a lot of beating my head against the wall. It felt more like my mind was refusing to do it rather than my fingers. Then one day I kinda blew my own mind when I played one of them along with Remi Harris. I couldn't believe it. Well then, the excitement was short lived because I realized looping and playing it over and over was long ways away from being able to play it on the fly during a jam or a band practice or a live gig. Maybe years away, and that's ok, I carry on and keep chipping away. But it would've never happened had I not changed my attitude.

And Joscho may not be a musical legend...yet...but he is a total legend when it comes to being humble about his own abilities.

BillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator

A whole lot of this thread sounds like the proverbial sour grapes.

BucoAzazzell
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

Legends often spawn new legends. The history of music is a virtual chain of legends spawning legends. Mozart to Beethoven to Brahms to Stravinsky…Hendrix to Stevie Ray and on and on. The legend stops with Django may be your own reality but others including myself don’t feel that way. Music growth has always been fluid and it will continue to be.

vanmalmsteenrudolfochristBonesBucoswiessler
  • scotscot Virtuoso

I don't get a lot of this thread. In particular I don't get the bitter boomer business. I'm as "boomer" as it gets (b1954) and have played music with other boomers since I was a teenager and with people of all ages as they came along over the years. I don't remember playing with anyone who did not know his limitations or was bitter about them. In fact, any bitterness and jealousy I have seen is from players at the top of the game who are competing for limited gigs.

For most of us, it does not take but a couple of years to figure out just how much you're going to be able to do, musically speaking. I knew from the start that I would never be able to solo in this style - even now, after all this time, I can barely play a basic fiddle tune on a guitar with a flatpick. So I learned how to play rhythm which I was able to learn without any problems. In my experience and across genres, most people are modest about their playing.

Legends? Since the 40s, Django and Stephane's recordings never went out of print, and guitarists of importance, in all sorts of styles, have claimed Django as an influence. Even in mainstream jazz, those guys are recognized as important figures in the history. That's legendary.

I kind of understand the appeal of Jimmy Rosenberg or Joscho, but if you play them for people outside this little sphere, even other guitarists, what you get is, "Man that guy can really play, but WTF?" I played GJ recordings of all kinds for musicians of all kinds over the years. What people liked best was Fapy/Bamboula, Alma Sinti, Pearl Django, Mandino Reinhardt. Most liked Tchan-Tchou and HCSF/Mehling. What they generally did not like was Jimmy R and Boulou Ferre - wah, my favorite!

Will any of our current generation of musicians ever achieve global legendary status? Who can say? But I think guitarists like Stephane Wrembel, Antoine Boyer, John Jorgenson and others with wide appeal outside the cult have the best chance...

BucovoutoreeniebillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams

Let me ask you this -- within our genre, can you name another player who changed the course of music and pop culture aside from Django? Because much like Django, that's precisely what each composer and music artist you've cited accomplished as contemporaneous to the time period in which they lived, which is why history will continue remembering them after we're gone. That's the larger point I'm making and as my first paragraph acknowledges, we already have many legendary figures within the genre who have advanced the style. Unfortunately, we're also touching on the semantics of terms like "legend" that can be very subjective in interpretation so I'll certainly acknowledge that you and I may have large differences in how we define the terminology. On that note though, I will leave you with definitions of "legend" straight from google as some food for thought:

1. a traditional story sometimes popularly regarded as historical but unauthenticated. "the legend of King Arthur"
    2. an extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field. "the man was a living legend"

Again, does any figure within the genre come close to meeting such criteria aside from Django?

Also, Scot's basically making the same argument I am, albeit far more eloquently and well-stated than I'm capable of lol

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023 Posts: 872

"Legend" is subjective, there are plenty of Gypsy Jazz players who have added to the music's vocabulary who gypsy Jazzer's would call a legend, the OP's original definition. Django while know amongst many guitarist is still unknown among a vast amount of the population. They of course cannot call him a "Legend" since they don't know who he was.

voutoreenieBones