DjangoBooks.com

Sonora Gypsy Guitars - a visual model guide.

Comments

• PJDPJD New

Here is a vintage round hole gypsy guitar that has the same headstock and the clef tailpiece (which seems to be original to the guitar) as the Sonora's. It has 13 frets to the body, the scale is a bit smaller than the "Hono Sonora", if i measure correctly it is 682mm or at best 683mm. Interesting detail is the rosette, which is exactly the same as the busato grand modèle 1940 bouche ronde posted on the tremblayluthier.com website ( http://tremblayluthier.com/en/bus-gm-40-br.html ). I don't know if the guitar on the Tremblay Luthier website has got a Busato label, but there would maybe be a real Busato link if it does. 41cm at the lower bout, braceless heavily arched back and the top is arched as well.

• PJDPJD New
  • PJDPJD New
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

I'm laughing because my made-up 'Clef' nomenclature is getting used by the dealers now.

I'm also laughing at the £1800 they're asking ;-)

BucobillyshakesJangle_JamiePJD
  • PJDPJD New

Did you finish restoring your new José Sanchez "Sonora"?

AndyW

I'm laughing because my made-up 'Clef' nomenclature is getting used by the dealers now.

Brilliant

AndyW
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

The posts on the new Schallers are too long so they meet in the middle on the super-narrow headstock. Thought about swapping in the the nice Delaruelles from my Rene Gerome, but I think I'll keep it original and shorten the Schaller posts on the belt sander for the Sanchez... Restoration 1, soon, is new tuners, a fret dress and clean & polish- Restoration 2 will be the fingerboard off, neck steam, carbon fibre truss rods & full refret - but not till 'later'. ( the neck's not really that bad )

• PJDPJD New

Do you only needs the yellow buttons for your tuners? There are some for sale on reverb i saw.. .

AndyW
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

@AndyW

The posts on the new Schallers are too long so they meet in the middle on the super-narrow headstock.

our tech always files down the shafts on the Schaller tuners. They’re always a bit too long for Gypsy guitars.

AndyW
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I called it in my earlier response to this post a year ago. You quite literally created the taxonomy for these guitars!

AndyW