DjangoBooks.com

Moreno/ Angelo Debarre

JojoJojo London UK
in History Posts: 190

I’ve just come across a thing by Angelo DeBarre and Moreno from ‘98. I know absolutely nothing about Moreno and wiki hasn’t been helpful. It seems that he was older than Angelo and am wondering if he influenced his guitar playing; Django’s Tiger had me thinking that it was Angelo who took the first solo but it turned out to be Moreno.

And does he have a first name….or is that his first name?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• edited June 2022 Posts: 4,737

Yes Moreno is his first name. His last name is Winterstein. There's a good footage of him in this documentary

mac63000WillieDoubleWhisky
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited June 2022 Posts: 825

German and French Wikipedia say that Lucien Moreno Winterstein was born 1963 in Saargemünd/Sarreguemines in France. He was taught by his father and brothers, his role models were Dorado and Tchavolo Schmitt. Later he met Tchan Tchou Vidal, who trained him further and had gigs with him. Manitas de Plata advised him to move to Paris, where he met singer Marina, his future wife (you can hear her in the documentary Buco mentioned).

BucoDoubleWhisky
  • JojoJojo London UK

I love the phrase “ I always say, when you play it’s make or break”.

Thanks guys, enormously helpful

BucoDoubleWhisky

Yes, I also remembered that from the movie, it's all or nothing attitude. Good approach. He certainly plays like his life depends on it.

JojoDoubleWhisky
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Moreno is one of my favorite players in the style - One of my very first "Django music' experiences was going to Bistro L'eustache in paris to see Moreno play (With Potzi on rhythm guitar). At one point he was playing with a small glass of cognac in his right hand, and a cigarette in the top of the guitar which he would occasionally smoke . . . All while playing blistering and musical solos!

A super nice player and great guy - he was very welcoming to me as a crazy young American trying to understand the music.

I'm still listening to those early Moreno records and learning tons from it!

B.

JojoDoubleWhisky
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    edited June 2022 Posts: 1,308

That "Fils du Vent" is a great video! If Buco didn't link it, I would have. I also was fortunate to see Moreno play in my early days in this style. They describe him as a "great brute" and I think he really plays in that way. Very strong attack. Very aggressively attacking the strings. You see ~17:44 the thickness of the pick he is using. Just massive.

I think most of the influence on his playing was from Tchan-Tchou when they played together in Toulon. This video is also a great one, from when he was younger. His playing just seems so effortless, looking around the room as if waiting on the bus.

BucorudolfochristDoubleWhisky
  • NotoNoto

This is one of my favorite Moreno recordings, I think I bought the CD back in 1995.

Great soloing and rhythm players:

https://open.spotify.com/album/28J4x8lGpP0gUkztjLn0ca?si=tl1PzzivTbKoAFP__bAMOg

BucoDoubleWhisky
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

We're lucky they are back on Spotify. About a year ago there or thereabouts all the Moreno music was removed and unavailable on Spotify. I think it is just a temporary rights thing...its back now.

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

You never hear about Moreno anymore, is he still playing somewhere?

• NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately,

Moreno had some very serious health issues some years ago.

I think, therefore I am......I think.