DjangoBooks.com

Battery Powered Amps

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

Hi Christophe,

Is the only reason to have the AT and DPA because there is no phantom power box for the DPA? If you had phantom power for the DPA would you use the AT?

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Honestly, AT831b vs DPA 4099 is all about cost. With the extra accessories to make both work on guitar I'm looking at $250 vs $620+ before tax as of today. I'm sure there is some sort of workaround for phantom for the DPA, just haven't looked into it myself.

Gigging life is rough on these tiny-cabled mics. If I was only doing shows with pro audio like on an extended tour, I'd go for the DPA. For private event cocktail hours, to bars and clubs (e.g. I am the sound engineer) the AT is perfectly fine.

Scoredog
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

Thanks for the response. I'll do more research into the Bose S1 Pro. I might pick one up just to have as a backup. it would have come in handy this past 2 weeks but oh well.

• BonesBones Moderator

I have used a portable PA with guitar or mic inputs. Works well.

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus
    edited June 2022 Posts: 187

Honestly, bring your setup to a guitar center and plug in to a Bose in the sound treated room - that's what I did.

I tried my Kleio pickup, my mic, also connected my phone via the Bluetooth and played with some backing tracks to see if I could shape my tone in a way that cut through the mix a bit. I found while I liked the tone flat by itself, the "guitar" setting sounded better in a mix.

About an hour later I purchased my Bose. Had to order the backpack, and it's expensive, but it is SO NICE TO HAVE.

While tone isn't the best, I've loved this thing.

No more worrying about power or where to setup. No worrying about dead air since I can play music. No worrying if the battery will last the 4 hour gig plus 30 minutes on each side for setup and teardown wile music is playing (11 hours on a full charge). Can help any other band member if they have an issue with their amp because it's a PA speaker not a guitar amp. Can bring extra stuff easily (like a tip jar) and never have to worry about packing it (constantly in the backpack). Can have my hands free to carry my guitar, or both hands free and flip the backpack to the front if my guitar case has backpack straps.

richter4208
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

Thanks! All of this sounds great and what I was looking for. Might have to make a visit to Guitar Center now.

• GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28

For battery powered anything, for about 18 months I’ve been using a Jackery 1000. It’s kind of pricey, but it’s also super versatile. It can power amps like a Fishman Loudbox and a small pa, and also works great for power tools (like worm drive and chop saw) or as the power supply for van camping (fans, lights, coffee heater, ipad charger). The Jackery ran my Princeton Reverb, Fishman Loudbox, a Baggs Pre and a string of xmas lights no problem for 3 hrs recently (didn’t run it dry).

Main point on this recommendation: don’t feel you have to have a dedicated battery system for just your amp if you have battery needs aside from your amp.

Bones
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

I wanted a little sound reinforcement when we were busking, but I didn't want to sound "amplified", per se, because bass, accordion, violin were all staying totally acoustic. I also found that I was changing my technique, trying to play louder to account for the relative sound volume handicap when soloing.

I chose the Yamaha THR30IIA, what they advertise as a "desktop" amp. This is the bigger 30 watt version of the 10 watt sibling. The "A" in the name denotes acoustic, and the amp is distinct from the regular THR30II in that all the settings and sound shaping is via microphone emulation specific to an acoustic guitar sound. My bandmate remarked that I did not sound amplified, just more present. It works with any pickup, passive or active.

There's more. The phone app gives you extra tone shaping tools not on the amp itself (though there are plenty on the amp), and there are five saved settings slots on the amp and software to recall particular saved settings. A lot of the video examples demonstrate spacey "acoustic" saved settings with chorus, reverb, delay, etc. For our purposes, the compression settings combined with tone shaping and mic emulation gets us pretty far toward getting our notoriously finicky guitars to sounding pretty natural, just more present and slightly louder.

There's more:

There's a second channel to plug in an XLR mic; not as many tone controls, but it's there to use for voice .

It has a built-in wireless receiver compatible with optional Line 6 Relay G10T transmitter; you can go wireless with no lag. (about $100).

Xsonic makes a wireless footpedal that matches the five saved setting slots on the Yamaha right out of the box, but it's also customizable. (about $100)

The unit bluetooth connects to your phone for either backing tracks or the aforementioned amp app (but not simultaneously).

I use it for band practice, busking, and practicing at home with a silent guitar (there's a headphone jack). You can connect it to a computer and do things I haven't even had time to look into. It has an internal lithium ion battery that I've never run down even after hours of playing. It has an on-board guitar tuner, and you can charge the Line6 guitar unit just by plugging it in. When you plug in the unit, it charges on its own and shuts down charging when its done.

It will set you back $600. That plus $100 for the Line6 unit and about $100 for the Xsonic pedal, and you're looking at about $800. Not cheap. But, I haven't seen anything else that can do so many things without a bunch of extra gear and connections. I can carry this gear in a shoulder tool bag, my guitar, and a collapsible tripod chair (preferred brand: Walkstool), and walk into just about any situation ready to play.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsBones
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@Chiefbigeasy Hey, curious about one thing the THR30IIA - does the mic/xlr input have phantom power?

Thanks,

Ben